May 2, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer was asked about those comments today and mostly declined to take the bait, telling Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com:
Garza got his payday. He’s on a team that’s winning. I guess he feels like he’s in a position right now to make comments. It’s on us now to flip that script, to show that we’re a place that people want to be, to show that we’re a winning organization.
It doesn’t really bother me. Being traded is a hard thing, emotionally, for people. Even in a situation like that where we had a good relationship with him, there’s probably a feeling of rejection, for lack of a better word. People say emotional things when asked about it, because there’s probably some resentment they’re harboring.
It’s worth noting that the Brewers are Garza’s fifth team in eight seasons and his $50 million contract was quite a bit less than many people pegged him for heading into free agency, but as Hoyer points out it’s tough to really sling any mud back at someone when the Cubs are losing so much.
Plus, the Cubs did pretty damn well in trading Garza to the Rangers, getting a nice four-prospect return for a couple months of his services that ended up not even being all that helpful to Texas. And so far Garza has a 5.00 ERA for the Brewers.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)