May 2, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
Clayton Kershaw is scheduled to come off the disabled list Tuesday, but the Dodgers’ rotation won’t be at full strength even once he returns because they just placed Hyun-jin Ryu on the DL with shoulder inflammation.
Ryu coughed up six runs in his most recent start Sunday against the Rockies in Los Angeles, which was his second clunker on the season. He allowed two runs or fewer in each of his other five starts, including zero runs in four of them. Overall the second-year left-hander has a 3.38 ERA and 31/11 K/BB ratio in 39 innings, nearly matching all of his numbers from last season.
Ryu was scheduled to start Sunday for the Dodgers, so they’ll need to add someone to the rotation over the weekend. For now they just need some fresh bullpens arms to help a worn-out pitching staff.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)