May 2, 2014, 2:47 PM EST
Jason Kipnis is the latest player to suffer the dreaded strained oblique muscle and after initially holding out some slim hope that he could avoid the disabled list the Indians have placed the second baseman on the shelf.
Utility man Elliot Johnson subbed for Kipnis in the one game he’s missed so far, but the Indians would certainly rather keep his role very limited and they’ve called up prospect Jose Ramirez from the minors to take the All-Star’s roster spot.
Ramirez is only 21 years old, but he debuted with the Indians in September and actually cracked their playoff roster. His numbers at Double-A last season weren’t impressive, but Ramirez was hitting .319 with more walks than strikeouts and an .849 OPS at Triple-A this season despite being one of the youngest players in the entire International League.
Oblique injuries tend to linger, so Ramirez may get an extended look at second base for most of this month.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)