Jarrod Saltalamacchia on sign-stealing accusations: “You kind of sit back and laugh a little bit.”

May 2, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

Marcell Ozuna, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Garrett Jones Marcell Ozuna, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Garrett Jones

Marlins catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia responded to the Braves’ recent accusations of stealing signs after being swept in a three-game series in Miami. The Marlins outscored the Braves 23-7, a far cry from the four runs they scored when they lost two of three to the Braves in Atlanta¬†earlier in the week.

Braves starter Aaron Harang, who entered the game with a 0.85 ERA but was hammered for nine runs in 4 2/3 innings, said, “It was baffling, like, where were these guys last week? They were way too comfortable. It seemed like they were all hitting like Ted Williams.”

All Salty can do is laugh. Via MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro:

“I think the Marlins have kind of been a punching bag almost for the past few years, because of things that have happened,” said Saltalamacchia, who celebrated his 29th birthday on Friday. “It doesn’t bother us, as far as we go. We’ve got to go out there and control what we can control.

“At the same time, as a player, you kind of sit back and laugh a little bit. From my perspective, I like it. I think they’re focusing on the wrong things. For them to focus on what we’re doing, and ‘Are we stealing signs? Are we doing this?’ That means they’re not focusing on what they should be focusing on. That kind of gives us an advantage.”

The Braves are certainly not the only team to accuse an opponent of stealing signs. The Rockies accused the Phillies in 2010. The Yankees accused the Blue Jays in 2011. The Orioles accused the Blue Jays again in 2012. The Athletics accused the Yankees last season. But there’s only so much you can do with stolen signs and the Braves’ series sweep at the hands of the Marlins had much more to do with their own poor performance than any edge allegedly gained by impropriety.

But it’s been a common thread with the Braves lately — of blaming others without introspection. They have become the baseball police, arbiters of fun, deciders of “the right way” to play the game. They can only complain so often before everyone starts to tune them out. Perhaps it’s already begun.

1. roundballsquarebox24 - May 2, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Wow, I am starting to really like Salty. While I am more of a lover of the game than any particular team, I’ve always had a soft spot for the Red Sox. Oddly, though, I never really liked Saltalamacchia when he was in Boston. Didn’t dislike him, I just thought he was just another journeyman. But, watching what he has been doing in Miami and the role he has stepped into so well down there, is making him one of my favorite players right now.

• Old Gator - May 3, 2014 at 7:53 AM

He’s been doing a great job here for the Feesh – even becoming, it seems, the de facto clubhouse captain. It’s a young team and a patchwork team in many ways and there aren’t many guys who know what it feels like to win. He’s their how-to guy. The division, and this roster, still has a lot of shaking out to do – Greg Dobbs got DFA’d on Wednesday and someone else will be today to make room for Jacob Turner’s return – and I doubt if the Feesh will continue to play over their heads. They’ve been very streaky and will likely continue to be, but he’s unquestionably a stabilizing force here insofar as they have one.

• roundballsquarebox24 - May 3, 2014 at 6:18 PM

I agree. Like I said, I love the game more than I care about any particular team, and the Marlins have really caught my attention lately. I have been watching a lot of their games, and I think they can surprise a lot of people. If they can get to a few games over .500 and hang out there, they have just as good a chance as anybody else at making a legitimate playoff run in August and September. I can’t way for Furcal to join the lineup (if he ever does!). Fernandez has such poise and baseball maturity that it blows my mind. Maybe I just have a thing for underdogs, but I would LOVE to see a Marlins vs. Mariners world series this year!(wishful thinking!).

2. realgone2 - May 2, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Yeah the Braves are the only team to complain about a player “hot dogging” it or sign stealing or a bad call. Get a clue buddy.

3. clydeserra - May 2, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Athletics accused the yankees? I didn’t know Cano was on the A’s last year. makes sense, though sense he left his team for free agency.

• clydeserra - May 2, 2014 at 8:45 PM

oops, read it backwards

4. mantastic54 - May 2, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Was Harang expecting to keep his era around .85 all season? Eventually he was bound to start pitching like Aaron Harang again

5. sc101071 - May 2, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Oh piss off about the baseball police. (I haven’t read you saying that about Boston over Pineada. I’m over that crap). Maybe the Braves should’ve refrained if they had their suspicions. But take 5 runs off each night and they are different ball games. You can’t overcome 8 run leads most nights.

• EyeDessert - May 3, 2014 at 2:40 AM

Fat boys, fat boys, whatcha gonna do
      Whatcha gonna do when they complain about you?

6. brewcrewfan54 - May 3, 2014 at 1:12 AM

We see these stories several times a year. Every time they’re stupid. Don’t want your signs stolen, get better at not goving them away. I love baseball but they are the biggest babies in pro sports.

7. drewzducks - May 3, 2014 at 1:37 AM

And I thought the deuchiness of the Braves left with McCann.

• EyeDessert - May 3, 2014 at 2:41 AM

I’m starting to think the Atlanta douchiness rubbed off on McCann.

8. stabonerichard - May 3, 2014 at 3:15 AM

Salty boinked his high school teacher. Problem was, then he married her.

• Old Gator - May 3, 2014 at 7:47 AM

A Florida tradition, dontcha know….the boinking, I mean. The marrying is a little rarer.

9. johnnycantread - May 3, 2014 at 8:21 AM

A former Boston player would know all about cheating.
    Must be something in Massachusetts’ water.

• drewzducks - May 3, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Substitute cheating with winning then you may be on to something.

• Old Gator - May 3, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Mercury causes cheating?

10. imnotyourbuddyguy - May 3, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3350)