Kevin Frandsen still unhappy with how things ended with Phillies

May 2, 2014, 11:35 PM EST

Washington Nationals v Miami Marlins Getty Images

In March 2011, the Phillies signed Kevin Frandsen to a minor league deal. He performed well enough with Triple-A Lehigh Valley, but the Phillies didn’t have a use for him. He stuck around with the Phillies on another minor league deal in 2012 and earned a call-up in late July, hitting .338 with an .834 OPS in 210 plate appearances. In 2013, his overall production tailed off significantly, but he led the league in pinch-hits with 14.

While he wasn’t exactly starter material, he was a quality bench bat or, if the Phillies cared about things like platoon splits, a good platoon bat given his career .771 OPS against left-handed pitchers. Stunningly, the depth-lacking Phillies couldn’t find room for Frandsen on their bench going into 2014, opting to cut him towards the end of March. Frandsen became a free agent and signed with the Nationals on a one-year, $900,000 contract a few days later.

Frandsen still isn’t happy about the way things ended with the Phillies. He says he was blindsided by their decision to cut him. Via CSN Philly’s Jim Salisbury:

“I was pissed,” said Frandsen, looking back at the Phillies’ decision. “I earned my way to being on the bench, to being a vital part over there. That’s what I thought and that’s the feeling I have and I’m going to go with it.”

[...]

“I don’t care what it was on timing and circumstance,” Frandsen said. “I earned my way. I earned my right to have that contract. I went about it the right way to be on that team over there. It didn’t happen.”

Frandsen, who led the majors with 14 pinch hits for the Phillies in 2013, has found happiness in Washington.

“We’re four games over .500 here, and I’m loving that,” he said. “I’m loving winning.”

Frandsen has performed well for the Nationals, carrying a .714 OPS into Friday’s action. Meanwhile, Phillies pinch-hitters have slashed .194/.257/.387. They have had MLB-worst production out of third basemen Cody Asche, Freddy Galvis, and Jayson Nix with an aggregate .478 OPS. Outfielder John Mayberry, Jr. has the highest OPS among the team’s bench players at .673.

As Adam Kilgore wrote in his column on the subject, “It’s hard to imagine Frandsen wouldn’t be one of the Phillies’ best 25 players.” In fact, Frandsen might’ve been one of the top-ten most productive players on the Phillies’ current roster.

1. schmedley69 - May 3, 2014 at 12:08 AM

He’s got a led glove.

2. eagles512 - May 3, 2014 at 12:33 AM

He’s right. They kept Nix who has no business being on a major league roster. Amaro needs to go-3 straight years he’s ruined any chance of competing with a joke of a bullpen.

3. corky2141 - May 3, 2014 at 12:58 AM

FIRE RAJ 00 – wore it at spring training and to every game I’ve been to this year. Will be wearing it to both games this weekend. He never should have taken control. Gets worse every year

• tuberippin - May 3, 2014 at 4:22 AM

Preach.

4. brewcrewfan54 - May 3, 2014 at 1:26 AM

While he pobably deserved to be on that team, bench players shouldn’t assume any guarantees. If you’re not a starter from all I’ve ever known your job is always tenuous.

5. captainwisdom88 - May 3, 2014 at 6:51 AM

he should have stayed a phillie

6. 4d3fect - May 3, 2014 at 8:33 AM

What was his name? Manfredjensen?

• DelawarePhilliesFan - May 3, 2014 at 9:20 AM

• 4d3fect - May 4, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Don’t call me stupid!

7. stupidusername - May 3, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Literally any player would improve that 3B and bench production over Galvis, who is tied for the league’s worst WAR at -0.8. And he accomplishes that in just 34 PA’s! 1 hit in 34 PA’s. 1 hit? He could only get one god damn hit?!

8. 700levelvet - May 3, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Hands down…Willie Mays is the greatest 5 tool player who ever lived…

• sportsfan18 - May 3, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Mike Trout will surpass him…

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4452)