May 2, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
Last week, it was reported that Rangers third baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff was diagnosed with a herniated disk in his back and surgery was a possibility. Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports reports that Kouzmanoff will indeed require surgery. The procedure is to be done on Tuesday, and Kouzmanoff will need eight to 12 weeks to recover.
Kouzmanoff, 32, proved to be a godsend after Adrian Beltre went on the disabled list with a strained left quad. Signed by the Rangers to a minor league deal back in December, Kouzmanoff posted a 1.029 OPS with two home runs and 10 RBI in 51 plate appearances before his back issues flared up.
Fortunately for the Rangers, Beltre is back so they won’t have to go digging further down into the system for a third baseman. However, since returning from the DL, Beltre is slashing .217/.250/.304 in 24 plate appearances.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $50,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Friday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,500. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)