May 2, 2014, 6:05 PM EST
Last week, it was reported that Rangers third baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff was diagnosed with a herniated disk in his back and surgery was a possibility. Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports reports that Kouzmanoff will indeed require surgery. The procedure is to be done on Tuesday, and Kouzmanoff will need eight to 12 weeks to recover.
Kouzmanoff, 32, proved to be a godsend after Adrian Beltre went on the disabled list with a strained left quad. Signed by the Rangers to a minor league deal back in December, Kouzmanoff posted a 1.029 OPS with two home runs and 10 RBI in 51 plate appearances before his back issues flared up.
Fortunately for the Rangers, Beltre is back so they won’t have to go digging further down into the system for a third baseman. However, since returning from the DL, Beltre is slashing .217/.250/.304 in 24 plate appearances.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $50,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Friday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,500. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (271)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)