May 2, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
Last week, it was reported that Rangers third baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff was diagnosed with a herniated disk in his back and surgery was a possibility. Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports reports that Kouzmanoff will indeed require surgery. The procedure is to be done on Tuesday, and Kouzmanoff will need eight to 12 weeks to recover.
Kouzmanoff, 32, proved to be a godsend after Adrian Beltre went on the disabled list with a strained left quad. Signed by the Rangers to a minor league deal back in December, Kouzmanoff posted a 1.029 OPS with two home runs and 10 RBI in 51 plate appearances before his back issues flared up.
Fortunately for the Rangers, Beltre is back so they won’t have to go digging further down into the system for a third baseman. However, since returning from the DL, Beltre is slashing .217/.250/.304 in 24 plate appearances.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $50,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Friday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,500. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)