May 2, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Slugger Kendrys Morales remains a free agent, and many in the industry expect him to remain a free agent until after the draft in early June, when the draft pick compensation attached to Morales would vanish. However, Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports that Morales and the Orioles have been in discussions. A deal is not expected any time soon, if at all.
The Orioles have been in discussions with free agent first baseman/DH Kendrys Morales at several points over the past few weeks, though there’s said to remain a fairly significant gap in negotiations to date and the likelihood of a deal is unknown.
Baltimore is said to have scouted Morales multiple times in recent weeks, as it has a clear interest in the switch-hitting slugger, according to sources. However, the diffrence in dollars seems to remain fairly clear, as well.
Heyman adds that while the specific dollar amounts aren’t known, the two sides were discussing one-year deals.
The Orioles lost some pop in their lineup when Chris Davis landed on the disabled list with a strained left oblique. Players are lucky if they need just the minimum 15 days to deal with an oblique injury, so the Orioles may be preparing for a longer stint on the DL. Having signed free agents Nelson Cruz and Ubaldo Jimenez — with similarly-attached draft pick compensation — in February, the Orioles showed they aren’t afraid to give up a draft pick to improve the team immediately.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 9
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 49
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 108
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (110)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (86)