May 2, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
With runners on second and third with one out in the top of the fifth with his team down 3-1, Denard Span was in the mindset of tying the game for his team. Span requested time from home plate umpire Jim Reynolds, but it was not granted. Lee continued with his wind-up and fired an inside fastball that nearly hit Span.
Span was upset that Lee threw inside, as he could clearly be seen saying “c’mon man” after the pitch. Lee shrugged it off and threw a low fastball for ball two before Span slapped an RBI ground out to the right side to cut the Phillies’ lead to 3-2. As he jogged off the field, it appears Lee said something to Span, which caused Span to stop dead in his tracks and turn back towards Lee. The two exchanged barbs and the dugouts and bullpens emptied. No punches were thrown and the situation was deescalated. Amid the crowd, Lee seemed bemused by the whole situation.
Watch the benches clear:
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (135)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)