May 2, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
The Twins were pondering moving starter Mike Pelfrey from the starting rotation as the right-hander has been all kinds of awful through five starts. He has a 7.99 ERA with 18 unintentional walks and 10 strikeouts in 23 2/3 innings. The team’s decision was made a little easier as Pelfrey will land on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left groin.
MLB.com’s Rhett Bollinger reports that the Twins will make the roster move after Friday’s game. They are expected to recall a position player, and Sam Deduno will move into the rotation to replace Pelfrey.
Deduno, 30, had been serving out of the bullpen. In 18 2/3 innings, the right-hander posted a 2.89 ERA with 18 strikeouts and eight unintentional walks. He’ll make his first start of the season, in Pelfrey’s place, on Tuesday against the Indians on the road.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 59
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)