May 2, 2014, 7:45 PM EST
The Twins were pondering moving starter Mike Pelfrey from the starting rotation as the right-hander has been all kinds of awful through five starts. He has a 7.99 ERA with 18 unintentional walks and 10 strikeouts in 23 2/3 innings. The team’s decision was made a little easier as Pelfrey will land on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left groin.
MLB.com’s Rhett Bollinger reports that the Twins will make the roster move after Friday’s game. They are expected to recall a position player, and Sam Deduno will move into the rotation to replace Pelfrey.
Deduno, 30, had been serving out of the bullpen. In 18 2/3 innings, the right-hander posted a 2.89 ERA with 18 strikeouts and eight unintentional walks. He’ll make his first start of the season, in Pelfrey’s place, on Tuesday against the Indians on the road.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27