May 2, 2014, 7:45 PM EST
The Twins were pondering moving starter Mike Pelfrey from the starting rotation as the right-hander has been all kinds of awful through five starts. He has a 7.99 ERA with 18 unintentional walks and 10 strikeouts in 23 2/3 innings. The team’s decision was made a little easier as Pelfrey will land on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left groin.
MLB.com’s Rhett Bollinger reports that the Twins will make the roster move after Friday’s game. They are expected to recall a position player, and Sam Deduno will move into the rotation to replace Pelfrey.
Deduno, 30, had been serving out of the bullpen. In 18 2/3 innings, the right-hander posted a 2.89 ERA with 18 strikeouts and eight unintentional walks. He’ll make his first start of the season, in Pelfrey’s place, on Tuesday against the Indians on the road.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 27
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 29
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)