May 2, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
The Twins were pondering moving starter Mike Pelfrey from the starting rotation as the right-hander has been all kinds of awful through five starts. He has a 7.99 ERA with 18 unintentional walks and 10 strikeouts in 23 2/3 innings. The team’s decision was made a little easier as Pelfrey will land on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left groin.
MLB.com’s Rhett Bollinger reports that the Twins will make the roster move after Friday’s game. They are expected to recall a position player, and Sam Deduno will move into the rotation to replace Pelfrey.
Deduno, 30, had been serving out of the bullpen. In 18 2/3 innings, the right-hander posted a 2.89 ERA with 18 strikeouts and eight unintentional walks. He’ll make his first start of the season, in Pelfrey’s place, on Tuesday against the Indians on the road.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)