May 2, 2014, 9:42 AM EDT
Yasiel Puig started yesterday hitting .276 with an .835 OPS on the season. He ended yesterday hitting .309 with an .891 OPS. And in between he got on base eight times (six hits, plus two walks) in the Dodgers’ doubleheader sweep over the Twins.
Puig has been ripped apart by the media for much of the season and manager Don Mattingly benched him for showing up late to an April 4 game, but he’s hitting .325 since that benching and his overall numbers are basically identical to his overall rookie numbers. Or, put another way: Puig has again been very, very good and the Dodgers are again winning a whole lot of games with him in the lineup.
In fact: Puig has now played 129 career games, hitting .317 with a .392 on-base percentage and .526 slugging percentage. He’s started 119 of those games and the Dodgers’ record in them is 78-41, which is the equivalent of winning 106 games over the course of a full 162-game schedule. But yeah: What a huge distraction he must be.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $50,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Friday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,500. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 17
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 55
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)