May 2, 2014, 9:42 AM EDT
Yasiel Puig started yesterday hitting .276 with an .835 OPS on the season. He ended yesterday hitting .309 with an .891 OPS. And in between he got on base eight times (six hits, plus two walks) in the Dodgers’ doubleheader sweep over the Twins.
Puig has been ripped apart by the media for much of the season and manager Don Mattingly benched him for showing up late to an April 4 game, but he’s hitting .325 since that benching and his overall numbers are basically identical to his overall rookie numbers. Or, put another way: Puig has again been very, very good and the Dodgers are again winning a whole lot of games with him in the lineup.
In fact: Puig has now played 129 career games, hitting .317 with a .392 on-base percentage and .526 slugging percentage. He’s started 119 of those games and the Dodgers’ record in them is 78-41, which is the equivalent of winning 106 games over the course of a full 162-game schedule. But yeah: What a huge distraction he must be.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $50,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Friday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,500. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)