May 3, 2014, 7:45 PM EST
Earlier, D.J. Short wrote that Angels third baseman David Freese was hoping to avoid a stint on the disabled list after suffering a non-displaced fracture on his right index finger suffered when he was hit by a Colby Lewis pitch on Friday night. Freese will be disappointed, as the Angels have indeed placed him on the 15-day DL according to the team’s official Twitter.
It’s unfortunate timing for Freese. He opened the season about as cold as a hitter can get, but was starting to turn things around, carrying a six-game hitting streak into Saturday night’s game against the Rangers. In 28 plate appearances since April 23, Freese was slashing .360/.429/.520.
Luis Jimenez will start at third base against the Rangers in Freese’s absence tonight. MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez writes that the Angels will play the match-ups and platoon Jimenez with Ian Stewart at the hot corner.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)