May 3, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
Earlier, D.J. Short wrote that Angels third baseman David Freese was hoping to avoid a stint on the disabled list after suffering a non-displaced fracture on his right index finger suffered when he was hit by a Colby Lewis pitch on Friday night. Freese will be disappointed, as the Angels have indeed placed him on the 15-day DL according to the team’s official Twitter.
It’s unfortunate timing for Freese. He opened the season about as cold as a hitter can get, but was starting to turn things around, carrying a six-game hitting streak into Saturday night’s game against the Rangers. In 28 plate appearances since April 23, Freese was slashing .360/.429/.520.
Luis Jimenez will start at third base against the Rangers in Freese’s absence tonight. MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez writes that the Angels will play the match-ups and platoon Jimenez with Ian Stewart at the hot corner.
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 15
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 78
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)