May 3, 2014, 11:55 PM EDT
As Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle points out, the back of the Athletics’ starting rotation has been a problem in the first month-plus of the season. The top three in the rotation — Sonny Gray, Scott Kazmir, and Jesse Chavez — are a combined 16-2, Slusser writes, while everyone else (Dan Straily, Tommy Milone, Josh Lindblom) is 2-9.
Slusser adds that the A’s may deal from depth to address the rotation, citing catcher John Jaso as an example of someone who could be moved. Jaso has been platooning with Derek Norris behind the plate and both have gotten off to good starts. Jaso has a .758 OPS, but Norris currently owns an impressive 1.006 OPS himself.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)