May 3, 2014, 10:55 PM EST
Sportsnet’s Shi Davidi reports that the Blue Jays have called up pitching prospect Marcus Stroman from Triple-A Buffalo. At least initially, Stroman will contribute out of the bullpen.
The Jays just transferred Brandon Morrow to the 60-day disabled list with a torn tendon sheath in his pitching hand, and have tabbed J.A. Happ as Monday’s starter. Perhaps after that, however, Stroman could be moved into the rotation on a regular basis.
Stroman compiled a 1.69 ERA with 36 strikeouts and seven walks in 26 2/3 innings over five starts with the Buffalo Bisons. Baseball Prospectus rated him the #27 overall prospect entering the season.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 61
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 31
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)