May 3, 2014, 3:28 PM EST
According to Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com, Angels third baseman David Freese was diagnosed with a non-displaced fracture in his right middle finger after he was hit by a pitch from Colby Lewis in last night’s game against the Rangers. You can watch the play here.
Freese said after the game that he hopes to avoid a stint on the disabled list, but it will all depend on how he feels over the next couple of days.
“It’s going to be one of those things where I’ll come in tomorrow and the next day and see where I’m at,” Freese said. “If you’re going to get a slight fracture, it’s in a good spot. I guess that’s a positive way to look at it. We’ll know more tomorrow and the next day, how I react.”
Acquired from the Cardinals over the winter, Freese is batting .202/.266/.286 with two home runs, eight RBI, and a 27/6 K/BB ratio over 94 plate appearances this season. The injury is a tough break, as the 31-year-old finally started to show signs of life over the past few days.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 82
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 47
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 31
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)