May 3, 2014, 3:28 PM EDT
According to Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com, Angels third baseman David Freese was diagnosed with a non-displaced fracture in his right middle finger after he was hit by a pitch from Colby Lewis in last night’s game against the Rangers. You can watch the play here.
Freese said after the game that he hopes to avoid a stint on the disabled list, but it will all depend on how he feels over the next couple of days.
“It’s going to be one of those things where I’ll come in tomorrow and the next day and see where I’m at,” Freese said. “If you’re going to get a slight fracture, it’s in a good spot. I guess that’s a positive way to look at it. We’ll know more tomorrow and the next day, how I react.”
Acquired from the Cardinals over the winter, Freese is batting .202/.266/.286 with two home runs, eight RBI, and a 27/6 K/BB ratio over 94 plate appearances this season. The injury is a tough break, as the 31-year-old finally started to show signs of life over the past few days.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)