May 3, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter is in his 20th and final season in the majors, but he managed to do something last night for the first time in his long and storied career. It wasn’t a good thing.
Jeter had his first 0-for-7 as the Yankees lost 10-5 to the Rays in 14 innings. As Danny Knobler of ESPN New York notes, the 39-year-old had gone hitless 596 other times in his career, including 0-for-6 on multiple occasions, but never an 0-for-7 until last night. It obviously takes a unique situation to make that possible. And last night’s game was exactly that. It was a strange one.
Jeter grounded out five times and flew out twice in the loss. He had a chance to play hero in the bottom of the 13th, but grounded out with the bases loaded. His batting average dropped from .272 to .250 in one night.
“I don’t even remember the first four of them,” Jeter told the Associated Press after the game. “It’s one of those days, know what I mean? Some days when you think you’ve seen it all, there’s something new.”
After the 14-inning marathon last night, Jeter is understandably getting a rest this afternoon.
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 27
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (107)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)