May 3, 2014, 4:28 PM EDT
The Indians announced a wave of roster moves this afternoon. In addition to designating utility man Elliot Johnson for assignment and placing catcher Yan Gomes on the paternity leave list, they have called up reliever Nick Hagadone and catcher George Kottaras from Triple-A Indianapolis.
Johnson made the Indians out of spring training, but he’s getting the boot after hitting just .105 (2-for-19) with two doubles and seven strikeouts in seven games. As for Gomes, he’s permitted to be away from the team for 24 to 72 hours.
Hagadone, 28, owns a 5.59 ERA over 72 relief appearances in the majors. Kottaras latched on with the Indians after being released by the Cubs at the end of spring training and could stick around even after Gomes returns.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 73
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 13
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 34
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 38
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 350
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (350)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (185)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)