May 3, 2014, 4:28 PM EDT
The Indians announced a wave of roster moves this afternoon. In addition to designating utility man Elliot Johnson for assignment and placing catcher Yan Gomes on the paternity leave list, they have called up reliever Nick Hagadone and catcher George Kottaras from Triple-A Indianapolis.
Johnson made the Indians out of spring training, but he’s getting the boot after hitting just .105 (2-for-19) with two doubles and seven strikeouts in seven games. As for Gomes, he’s permitted to be away from the team for 24 to 72 hours.
Hagadone, 28, owns a 5.59 ERA over 72 relief appearances in the majors. Kottaras latched on with the Indians after being released by the Cubs at the end of spring training and could stick around even after Gomes returns.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 32
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 7
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)