May 3, 2014, 4:28 PM EDT
The Indians announced a wave of roster moves this afternoon. In addition to designating utility man Elliot Johnson for assignment and placing catcher Yan Gomes on the paternity leave list, they have called up reliever Nick Hagadone and catcher George Kottaras from Triple-A Indianapolis.
Johnson made the Indians out of spring training, but he’s getting the boot after hitting just .105 (2-for-19) with two doubles and seven strikeouts in seven games. As for Gomes, he’s permitted to be away from the team for 24 to 72 hours.
Hagadone, 28, owns a 5.59 ERA over 72 relief appearances in the majors. Kottaras latched on with the Indians after being released by the Cubs at the end of spring training and could stick around even after Gomes returns.
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 25
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 117
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- This team. 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (117)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)