May 3, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Bill Baer wrote last night that Ryan Braun could be placed on the disabled list due to his strained right oblique and that’s exactly what the Brewers did this morning. Logan Schafer, who has been sidelined since mid-April with a hamstring strain, has been activated to take his place on the active roster.
Braun’s stint on the disabled list has been backdated to April 27, the day after his last game action, so he’ll be eligible to return on May 12 if all goes well. Oblique injuries are tricky, so that’s obviously far from a guarantee.
Braun, who has been playing through a nagging thumb injury, is batting .318/.361/.591 with six home runs and 18 RBI in 22 games this season.
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 40
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 10
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 35
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)