May 3, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT
Ubaldo Jimenez has had a pretty rough start to the season, but he showed last night why the Orioles were willing to give him a four-year, $50 million contract over the winter. In addition to tossing 7 1/3 scoreless innings in a 3-0 victory over the Twins, he struck out a season-high 10 batters. It was his first win with Baltimore.
One of the most encouraging signs of all for Jimenez was that he only issued one walk. The veteran right-hander had allowed 17 free passes in 27 1/3 innings coming into Friday’s outing. He still owns an ugly 5.19 ERA for the year, but it was a step in the right direction.
As for Nelson Cruz, the Orioles’ other big offseason acquisition, he just keeps on rolling. He blasted a two-run homer off Ricky Nolasco last night and is now batting .297/.377/.594 with eight home runs and 27 RBI through 26 games.
With the Yankees’ loss last night, the Orioles currently sit in first-place in the American League East at 15-12.
Your Friday box scores:
Rays 10, Yankees 5 (14 innings)
Mariners 4, Astros 5 (11 innings)
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 0
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 28
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 143
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)