May 4, 2014, 4:28 PM EST
MLB.com’s Jane Lee reports that the A’s have claimed outfielder Nick Buss off waivers from the Dodgers and sent him to Triple-A Sacramento.
Buss was designated for assignment by Los Angeles to clear a 40-man roster spot for right-hander Red Patterson, who made his major league debut in a spot start last week against the Minnesota Twins.
Buss was batting just .261/.330/.391 with one home run in 26 games this season for the Dodgers’ Triple-A affiliate in Albuquerque, New Mexico, but he hit .303/.363/.525 with 17 homers, 100 RBI, and 21 stolen bases in 131 games last year and could be of value to Oakland at some point this summer.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)