May 4, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
CSN Bay Area’s Andrew Baggarly reports that the Giants have placed starter Matt Cain on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to April 24, with a cut on his right index finger. To take Cain’s spot on the roster, the Giants have called up Jake Dunning from Triple-A Fresno. Yusmeiro Petit will start in Cain’s place against the Pirates on Monday.
Baggarly adds that Cain threw a bullpen on Friday with a covering over the cut on his finger and surmises that the cut hasn’t closed or opened back up. It was initially believed that Cain wouldn’t need to go on the disabled list. Cain suffered the injury using a kitchen knife.
Cain is winless in five starts, carrying a 4.35 ERA with a 25/10 K/BB ratio in 31 innings.
Dunning, 25, has a 2.51 ERA in 14 1/3 innings with Fresno, spanning one start and seven relief appearances.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 24
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 20
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 107
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 128
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (128)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (108)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)