May 4, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
CSN Bay Area’s Andrew Baggarly reports that the Giants have placed starter Matt Cain on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to April 24, with a cut on his right index finger. To take Cain’s spot on the roster, the Giants have called up Jake Dunning from Triple-A Fresno. Yusmeiro Petit will start in Cain’s place against the Pirates on Monday.
Baggarly adds that Cain threw a bullpen on Friday with a covering over the cut on his finger and surmises that the cut hasn’t closed or opened back up. It was initially believed that Cain wouldn’t need to go on the disabled list. Cain suffered the injury using a kitchen knife.
Cain is winless in five starts, carrying a 4.35 ERA with a 25/10 K/BB ratio in 31 innings.
Dunning, 25, has a 2.51 ERA in 14 1/3 innings with Fresno, spanning one start and seven relief appearances.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 16
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 45
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 91
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)