May 4, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
CSN Bay Area’s Andrew Baggarly reports that the Giants have placed starter Matt Cain on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to April 24, with a cut on his right index finger. To take Cain’s spot on the roster, the Giants have called up Jake Dunning from Triple-A Fresno. Yusmeiro Petit will start in Cain’s place against the Pirates on Monday.
Baggarly adds that Cain threw a bullpen on Friday with a covering over the cut on his finger and surmises that the cut hasn’t closed or opened back up. It was initially believed that Cain wouldn’t need to go on the disabled list. Cain suffered the injury using a kitchen knife.
Cain is winless in five starts, carrying a 4.35 ERA with a 25/10 K/BB ratio in 31 innings.
Dunning, 25, has a 2.51 ERA in 14 1/3 innings with Fresno, spanning one start and seven relief appearances.
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 8
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 59
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 25
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 29
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (106)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)