May 4, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
CSN Bay Area’s Andrew Baggarly reports that the Giants have placed starter Matt Cain on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to April 24, with a cut on his right index finger. To take Cain’s spot on the roster, the Giants have called up Jake Dunning from Triple-A Fresno. Yusmeiro Petit will start in Cain’s place against the Pirates on Monday.
Baggarly adds that Cain threw a bullpen on Friday with a covering over the cut on his finger and surmises that the cut hasn’t closed or opened back up. It was initially believed that Cain wouldn’t need to go on the disabled list. Cain suffered the injury using a kitchen knife.
Cain is winless in five starts, carrying a 4.35 ERA with a 25/10 K/BB ratio in 31 innings.
Dunning, 25, has a 2.51 ERA in 14 1/3 innings with Fresno, spanning one start and seven relief appearances.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)