May 4, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
CSN Bay Area’s Andrew Baggarly reports that the Giants have placed starter Matt Cain on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to April 24, with a cut on his right index finger. To take Cain’s spot on the roster, the Giants have called up Jake Dunning from Triple-A Fresno. Yusmeiro Petit will start in Cain’s place against the Pirates on Monday.
Baggarly adds that Cain threw a bullpen on Friday with a covering over the cut on his finger and surmises that the cut hasn’t closed or opened back up. It was initially believed that Cain wouldn’t need to go on the disabled list. Cain suffered the injury using a kitchen knife.
Cain is winless in five starts, carrying a 4.35 ERA with a 25/10 K/BB ratio in 31 innings.
Dunning, 25, has a 2.51 ERA in 14 1/3 innings with Fresno, spanning one start and seven relief appearances.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)