Mark Buehrle could be a hot name at the trade deadline

May 4, 2014, 11:22 AM EDT

mark buehrle getty Getty Images

Via Nick Cafardo’s notes column in the Boston Globe:

Mark Buehrle, LHP, Blue Jays — Scouts are already indicating the Blue Jays will be a major team to pay attention to at the trading deadline. If they start fading, scouts view Buehrle as a top target of contending teams. There’s also Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion to consider, but Buehrle, given his ability to pitch in either league at a high level and to work quickly and effectively, will be valued.

Buehrle is making $18 million this year and owed $19 million next year. He can then become a free agent after the 2015 season. That’s quite a bit of money for a mid-rotation starter, but the 35-year-old southpaw has posted an ace-like 2.25 ERA in 40 innings (six starts) so far this season for Toronto and he has thrown more than 200 innings in 13 straight major league campaigns. Durability is a big selling point these days.

The Blue Jays look like they’ll be deadline sellers here in early May with a record of 13-17.

1. cardslifer - May 4, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Let the Cardinal rumors begin.

His liking to St. Louis makes all our fans seem to think this will always be his next destination.

Would be nice to have a left arm in the rotation,
    but starting pitching comes at a premium these days, and there’s always desperate teams who lop off their right arm for any available starter who can eat innings. ie Rangers of last year.

• cohnjusack - May 4, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Can Mark Buehrle hit now? Because that’s the only scenario that makes any sense.

• paperlions - May 4, 2014 at 1:34 PM

On a scale of 0-10, how much the Cardinals need starting pitchers: -472

• proudlycanadian - May 4, 2014 at 3:17 PM

JOHN LESTER is another pitcher who might be available at the trade deadline. LESTER can become a Free Agent at the end of the season and has SHOWED A RELUCTANCE TO SIGN AN EXTENTION. Should the Red Sox languish below the .500 mark at the deadline, LESTER could easily be trade bait.

• proudlycanadian - May 4, 2014 at 5:53 PM

I am eagerly awaiting to see Nick Cafardo speculate that the Yankees plan to sign John Lester after Lester becomes a free agent at the end of the season.

• uyf1950 - May 4, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Proudly, my friend. I don’t think a “marriage” is in the future between the Yankees and Lester. While I think he would be a welcome addition I’m about as sure as I can be that the Red Sox will re-sign him. But I do think it will cost the Red Sox more then some think. I’m thinking 5 years guaranteed for $110 to $120MM with a 6th year vesting option that should be for about $25MM for that 6th year.

• proudlycanadian - May 4, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Stranger things have happened and Kuroda is probably in his last season. Besides, I think that the Yankees would like to mess with the Red Sox if they could.

• uyf1950 - May 4, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Proudly my friend. I did want to mention one other thing. The Yankees have about $50 to $55MM coming off the books at the end of the season. Now A-Rod is eligible to return and he’s scheduled to make $20MM (not to be confused with his $27.5MM AAV for MLB tax purposes).

I’m pretty sure the Yankees first order of business for the 2015 season is to sign a starting SS to replace Jeter. Then a starter but I’m thinking it will not be either Lester OR Scherzer. Shields or Masterson are the more likely targets. They will cost less in both dollars and years than the other two. Plus I don’t think the Yankees will be looking for a #1 going forward, I think Tanaka fills that bill going forward. After a SS and another starter re-signing Robertson is probably their biggest priority. Any other needs/signings will probably be fill-ins.

• proudlycanadian - May 4, 2014 at 8:42 PM

LOL! Killjoy!

• uyf1950 - May 4, 2014 at 9:51 PM

Proudly, my friend just another quick follow up. Obviously this is purely speculation on my part but IF Hanley Ramirez or J.J. Hardy or Jed Lowrie makes it to FA I can see the Yankees going after one of them.

Looking into my crystal ball I can envision the 2015 Yankees starting position players of:
        Tex (1st)
        Johnson OR Solarte (2nd)
        Ramiez/Hardy or Lowrie (SS)
        A-Rod (3rd)
        Gardner (LF)
        Ellsbury (CF)
        Beltran and Almonte (RF sharing duties)
        Beltran getting a lot of DH at bats
        McCann (C) with J.R. Murphy the primary back up

Starting Rotation of:
        Tanaka
        Pineda
        Shields OR Masterson
        CC
        Competition between for #5: Banuelos/Nuno/Phelps

Bullpen:
        Robertson (Closer)
        Betances
        Kelley
        Warren
        Thornton
        Plus 2 open spots one probably going to either Phelps or Nuno.

The Yankees have several prospects that I’m sure they will give a good look at next winter and spring for the bench/roll players like Ramon Flores and Rob Refsnyder. We’ll see.

• proudlycanadian - May 4, 2014 at 10:11 PM

That would be an interesting team. The 2014 team seems to have an interim feel to it.

• uyf1950 - May 4, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Proudly my friend, I believed at the end of the 2013 season that 2014 was Part 1 of a two part series for the Yankees. That had a lot of holes to fill to get ready for the 2014 and 2015 seasons. Too many holes to fill in for one year (2014). So it became necessary in my opinion to be a 2 year project for 2014 and 2015. We’ll see.

• mazblast - May 4, 2014 at 10:57 PM

The Yankees have prospects? Since when? Other than in the minds of the most rabid faithful, where?

• uyf1950 - May 5, 2014 at 7:09 AM

@ mazblast, I was going to take the time to reply in detail to your comment but then it came to me there are some fans on this site that are incapable or unable to absorb information. It’s a shame that most sports blogs HBT included don’t have some sort of standards for posters to comment. So I’ll end this by merely saying you should be thankful for that. Have a good day.

2. groupofsevenrules - May 4, 2014 at 11:55 AM

And then e can be re-united with his pit bulls. Oh yes, and he would get his wife and kids back in the process, too. Perhaps he would like to take one of our wolverines or perhaps a baby seal club back to the states with him as a memento of his time in the canine-sane Commonwealth.

3. proudlycanadian - May 4, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Much too early for this type of clown comment; however I see that it is coming out of a notorious source of hot air from Boston.

• clydeserra - May 4, 2014 at 12:10 PM

seriously, I mean, I see the need to speculate on what contending teams want, and what can be pilfered from the Diamondback and astros, but this is still a tight division with no “good” team. And Toronto has a good a chance of any of having a 2005 white sox “everything broke right” season.

• happytwinsfan - May 4, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Exactly. It’s just as justified to speculate that the Jays will be buyers for their bullpen.

4. garybrian2014 - May 4, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Can’t they trade “Gibby”? He’s not worth much, but maybe they could get a couple of balls and gloves in exchange!

• nbjays - May 4, 2014 at 1:58 PM

Our manager “Gibby” is having a helluva lot better season so far than that other manager named “Gibby”. Maybe he has more grit.

5. lukedunphysscienceproject - May 4, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Boy, how many years could you have written THAT headline?

6. doubledoublef65 - May 4, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Actually, I

7. doubledoublef65 - May 4, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Try again – crappy computer.
    Pretty sure the sox will put Pedroia and Lester on the block if their record doesnt improve. Maybe Big Papi too. See i can make this stuff up also. A game and a half behind Boston and you write them off? Jannsen will come back and close out games and the bullpen will sort itself out. All will be good.

8. uyf1950 - May 4, 2014 at 8:16 PM

I think it’s a bit early in the season to think about counting the Jays out of contention with the notion that they could make their star pitcher available at the trade deadline which don’t happen for another close to 3 months.

9. mazblast - May 4, 2014 at 11:01 PM

I can see the Jays dealing Buehrle this off-season, but there’s no need for them to rush into anything unless they’re blown away by an offer.

On the other hand, the current Jays management hasn’t shown me much in the way of being able to develop a winner.

Most of this talk seems to be coming from Red Sox and Yankees fans/hack writers who view the rest of MLB (except maybe the Cards and Giants) as their farm team.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4899)