May 4, 2014, 11:22 AM EDT
Via Nick Cafardo’s notes column in the Boston Globe:
Mark Buehrle, LHP, Blue Jays — Scouts are already indicating the Blue Jays will be a major team to pay attention to at the trading deadline. If they start fading, scouts view Buehrle as a top target of contending teams. There’s also Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion to consider, but Buehrle, given his ability to pitch in either league at a high level and to work quickly and effectively, will be valued.
Buehrle is making $18 million this year and owed $19 million next year. He can then become a free agent after the 2015 season. That’s quite a bit of money for a mid-rotation starter, but the 35-year-old southpaw has posted an ace-like 2.25 ERA in 40 innings (six starts) so far this season for Toronto and he has thrown more than 200 innings in 13 straight major league campaigns. Durability is a big selling point these days.
The Blue Jays look like they’ll be deadline sellers here in early May with a record of 13-17.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 41
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 50
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 72
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 93
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)