May 4, 2014, 11:22 AM EDT
Via Nick Cafardo’s notes column in the Boston Globe:
Mark Buehrle, LHP, Blue Jays — Scouts are already indicating the Blue Jays will be a major team to pay attention to at the trading deadline. If they start fading, scouts view Buehrle as a top target of contending teams. There’s also Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion to consider, but Buehrle, given his ability to pitch in either league at a high level and to work quickly and effectively, will be valued.
Buehrle is making $18 million this year and owed $19 million next year. He can then become a free agent after the 2015 season. That’s quite a bit of money for a mid-rotation starter, but the 35-year-old southpaw has posted an ace-like 2.25 ERA in 40 innings (six starts) so far this season for Toronto and he has thrown more than 200 innings in 13 straight major league campaigns. Durability is a big selling point these days.
The Blue Jays look like they’ll be deadline sellers here in early May with a record of 13-17.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)