May 4, 2014, 9:20 PM EST
Nolan Arenado is quickly becoming a household name. He hit a go-ahead grand slam to extend his hitting streak to 23 consecutive games last night, and doubled on Sunday afternoon against the Mets to make it 24 in a row, as he inches ever closer to the Rockies franchise record 27 games set by Michael Cuddyer last season.
But Arenado has been getting it done with the glove, too, making the Rockies’ left side of the infield the best defensive pairing in baseball. Arenado showed why with an incredibly heads-up, athletic play to get the out at third base in the first inning.
With runners on the corners and one out, Chris Young hit a weak fly ball to shallow left field. Left fielder Carlos Gonzalez caught the ball and with plenty of momentum, fired the ball in to cut-off man Arenado. It was a bit high, so Arenado had to leap to catch it. Daniel Murphy was a bit too far off of the third base bag. Noticing this, Arenado — hanging in the Colorado air — flung the ball quickly to Charlie Culberson covering the bag, who applied the tag for the final out of the inning.
You can watch the incredible play on MLB.com by clicking here. To the relevant parties at Major League Baseball in charge of sending out Gold Glove awards, the address for Coors Field is 2001 Blake St, Denver CO 80205. Arenado will take his now.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (125)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)