May 4, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT
Nolan Arenado is quickly becoming a household name. He hit a go-ahead grand slam to extend his hitting streak to 23 consecutive games last night, and doubled on Sunday afternoon against the Mets to make it 24 in a row, as he inches ever closer to the Rockies franchise record 27 games set by Michael Cuddyer last season.
But Arenado has been getting it done with the glove, too, making the Rockies’ left side of the infield the best defensive pairing in baseball. Arenado showed why with an incredibly heads-up, athletic play to get the out at third base in the first inning.
With runners on the corners and one out, Chris Young hit a weak fly ball to shallow left field. Left fielder Carlos Gonzalez caught the ball and with plenty of momentum, fired the ball in to cut-off man Arenado. It was a bit high, so Arenado had to leap to catch it. Daniel Murphy was a bit too far off of the third base bag. Noticing this, Arenado — hanging in the Colorado air — flung the ball quickly to Charlie Culberson covering the bag, who applied the tag for the final out of the inning.
You can watch the incredible play on MLB.com by clicking here. To the relevant parties at Major League Baseball in charge of sending out Gold Glove awards, the address for Coors Field is 2001 Blake St, Denver CO 80205. Arenado will take his now.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 12
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 56
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)