May 4, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT
Nolan Arenado is quickly becoming a household name. He hit a go-ahead grand slam to extend his hitting streak to 23 consecutive games last night, and doubled on Sunday afternoon against the Mets to make it 24 in a row, as he inches ever closer to the Rockies franchise record 27 games set by Michael Cuddyer last season.
But Arenado has been getting it done with the glove, too, making the Rockies’ left side of the infield the best defensive pairing in baseball. Arenado showed why with an incredibly heads-up, athletic play to get the out at third base in the first inning.
With runners on the corners and one out, Chris Young hit a weak fly ball to shallow left field. Left fielder Carlos Gonzalez caught the ball and with plenty of momentum, fired the ball in to cut-off man Arenado. It was a bit high, so Arenado had to leap to catch it. Daniel Murphy was a bit too far off of the third base bag. Noticing this, Arenado — hanging in the Colorado air — flung the ball quickly to Charlie Culberson covering the bag, who applied the tag for the final out of the inning.
You can watch the incredible play on MLB.com by clicking here. To the relevant parties at Major League Baseball in charge of sending out Gold Glove awards, the address for Coors Field is 2001 Blake St, Denver CO 80205. Arenado will take his now.
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 26
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 67
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (157)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (99)