May 4, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT
Nolan Arenado is quickly becoming a household name. He hit a go-ahead grand slam to extend his hitting streak to 23 consecutive games last night, and doubled on Sunday afternoon against the Mets to make it 24 in a row, as he inches ever closer to the Rockies franchise record 27 games set by Michael Cuddyer last season.
But Arenado has been getting it done with the glove, too, making the Rockies’ left side of the infield the best defensive pairing in baseball. Arenado showed why with an incredibly heads-up, athletic play to get the out at third base in the first inning.
With runners on the corners and one out, Chris Young hit a weak fly ball to shallow left field. Left fielder Carlos Gonzalez caught the ball and with plenty of momentum, fired the ball in to cut-off man Arenado. It was a bit high, so Arenado had to leap to catch it. Daniel Murphy was a bit too far off of the third base bag. Noticing this, Arenado — hanging in the Colorado air — flung the ball quickly to Charlie Culberson covering the bag, who applied the tag for the final out of the inning.
You can watch the incredible play on MLB.com by clicking here. To the relevant parties at Major League Baseball in charge of sending out Gold Glove awards, the address for Coors Field is 2001 Blake St, Denver CO 80205. Arenado will take his now.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 25
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)