May 4, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
Bell had surrendered 24 hits, eight walks, and 16 runs — 14 earned — in 17 1/3 innings this year for the Rays, who got him from the Diamondbacks this past winter as part of a three-team trade.
The 36-year-old owns a rough 4.91 ERA and 1.507 WHIP in 146 2/3 innings since signing a three-year, $27 million free agent contract with the Marlins prior to the 2012 campaign. That deal ends this fall.
Bell will either be traded, released, or outrighted to Triple-A Durham within the next 10 days.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 10
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 154
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39