May 4, 2014, 1:54 PM EDT
Patrick Saunders, lead beat writer at the Denver Post, reports that the Rockies placed catcher Wilin Rosario on the 15-day disabled list Sunday morning because of a viral infection. Rosario has also been battling some left hand soreness, so that probably played a factor in the decision to shelve him.
Jordan Pacheco started at catcher on Saturday and the Rockies have brought up Michael McKenry to provide some needed depth at the position.
Rosario was off to a disappointing start at the plate this season for Colorado, batting just .239/.274/.398 with three home runs and 15 RBI in 24 games.
He hit .292/.315/.486 with 21 home runs and 79 RBI in 121 games last year.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 23
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 82
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 8
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 17
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (82)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)