May 4, 2014, 1:54 PM EST
Patrick Saunders, lead beat writer at the Denver Post, reports that the Rockies placed catcher Wilin Rosario on the 15-day disabled list Sunday morning because of a viral infection. Rosario has also been battling some left hand soreness, so that probably played a factor in the decision to shelve him.
Jordan Pacheco started at catcher on Saturday and the Rockies have brought up Michael McKenry to provide some needed depth at the position.
Rosario was off to a disappointing start at the plate this season for Colorado, batting just .239/.274/.398 with three home runs and 15 RBI in 24 games.
He hit .292/.315/.486 with 21 home runs and 79 RBI in 121 games last year.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 61
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)