May 4, 2014, 1:54 PM EDT
Patrick Saunders, lead beat writer at the Denver Post, reports that the Rockies placed catcher Wilin Rosario on the 15-day disabled list Sunday morning because of a viral infection. Rosario has also been battling some left hand soreness, so that probably played a factor in the decision to shelve him.
Jordan Pacheco started at catcher on Saturday and the Rockies have brought up Michael McKenry to provide some needed depth at the position.
Rosario was off to a disappointing start at the plate this season for Colorado, batting just .239/.274/.398 with three home runs and 15 RBI in 24 games.
He hit .292/.315/.486 with 21 home runs and 79 RBI in 121 games last year.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 34
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 38
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 77
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (214)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)