May 4, 2014, 1:54 PM EST
Patrick Saunders, lead beat writer at the Denver Post, reports that the Rockies placed catcher Wilin Rosario on the 15-day disabled list Sunday morning because of a viral infection. Rosario has also been battling some left hand soreness, so that probably played a factor in the decision to shelve him.
Jordan Pacheco started at catcher on Saturday and the Rockies have brought up Michael McKenry to provide some needed depth at the position.
Rosario was off to a disappointing start at the plate this season for Colorado, batting just .239/.274/.398 with three home runs and 15 RBI in 24 games.
He hit .292/.315/.486 with 21 home runs and 79 RBI in 121 games last year.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)