May 4, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Sunday’s series finale in Miami against the Marlins ended in ugly fashion for the Marlins. With the game tied 4-4 with Adeiny Hechavarria on first base and two outs in the bottom of the ninth, Jeff Baker lined a Jamey Wright offering to right field. The ball carried well and caromed off of the wall ahead of a leaping Yasiel Puig. Hechavarria scored and the Marlins walked off 5-4 winners.
As the Marlins rushed the field to celebrate, Puig remained on the ground in right field. Trainer Stan Conte came out and eventually helped Puig leave the field.
Video of the attempted catch:
Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register reports that Puig was given a concussion test and the results were negative and the outfielder is listed as day-to-day. Manager Don Mattingly said Puig was “pointing to multiple areas” when asked where he was hurting.
Puig’s performance will obviously be something everyone will be closely monitoring in the coming days. He has been a top performer for the Dodgers, going into Monday’s road series against the Nationals with a .309/.397/.500 slash line.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 21
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)