May 4, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Sunday’s series finale in Miami against the Marlins ended in ugly fashion for the Marlins. With the game tied 4-4 with Adeiny Hechavarria on first base and two outs in the bottom of the ninth, Jeff Baker lined a Jamey Wright offering to right field. The ball carried well and caromed off of the wall ahead of a leaping Yasiel Puig. Hechavarria scored and the Marlins walked off 5-4 winners.
As the Marlins rushed the field to celebrate, Puig remained on the ground in right field. Trainer Stan Conte came out and eventually helped Puig leave the field.
Video of the attempted catch:
Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register reports that Puig was given a concussion test and the results were negative and the outfielder is listed as day-to-day. Manager Don Mattingly said Puig was “pointing to multiple areas” when asked where he was hurting.
Puig’s performance will obviously be something everyone will be closely monitoring in the coming days. He has been a top performer for the Dodgers, going into Monday’s road series against the Nationals with a .309/.397/.500 slash line.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 68
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)