May 4, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Sunday’s series finale in Miami against the Marlins ended in ugly fashion for the Marlins. With the game tied 4-4 with Adeiny Hechavarria on first base and two outs in the bottom of the ninth, Jeff Baker lined a Jamey Wright offering to right field. The ball carried well and caromed off of the wall ahead of a leaping Yasiel Puig. Hechavarria scored and the Marlins walked off 5-4 winners.
As the Marlins rushed the field to celebrate, Puig remained on the ground in right field. Trainer Stan Conte came out and eventually helped Puig leave the field.
Video of the attempted catch:
Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register reports that Puig was given a concussion test and the results were negative and the outfielder is listed as day-to-day. Manager Don Mattingly said Puig was “pointing to multiple areas” when asked where he was hurting.
Puig’s performance will obviously be something everyone will be closely monitoring in the coming days. He has been a top performer for the Dodgers, going into Monday’s road series against the Nationals with a .309/.397/.500 slash line.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)