May 4, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Sunday’s series finale in Miami against the Marlins ended in ugly fashion for the Marlins. With the game tied 4-4 with Adeiny Hechavarria on first base and two outs in the bottom of the ninth, Jeff Baker lined a Jamey Wright offering to right field. The ball carried well and caromed off of the wall ahead of a leaping Yasiel Puig. Hechavarria scored and the Marlins walked off 5-4 winners.
As the Marlins rushed the field to celebrate, Puig remained on the ground in right field. Trainer Stan Conte came out and eventually helped Puig leave the field.
Video of the attempted catch:
Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register reports that Puig was given a concussion test and the results were negative and the outfielder is listed as day-to-day. Manager Don Mattingly said Puig was “pointing to multiple areas” when asked where he was hurting.
Puig’s performance will obviously be something everyone will be closely monitoring in the coming days. He has been a top performer for the Dodgers, going into Monday’s road series against the Nationals with a .309/.397/.500 slash line.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 3
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 74
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 76
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 100
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (103)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (100)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)