May 5, 2014, 10:31 PM EDT
Brendan Ryan was forced to begin the season on the disabled list with a pinched nerve in his back, but Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Jorge Castillo of the Newark Star-Ledger this evening that the plan calls for him to be activated tomorrow. The 32-year-old is expected to take the roster spot of right-hander Michael Pineda, who will be placed on the disabled list with a teres major muscle strain now that his 10-game suspension is over.
Progress for Ryan was slow, but he began a minor league rehab assignment last weekend and hit .320 (8-for-25) with two RBI and a 4/5 K/BB ratio over seven games between High-A Tampa and Double-A Trenton. Of course, anything the Yankees get out of him offensively will be considered a bonus, as the .237 hitter is a glove-first player in every sense of the term.
Ryan’s return could present an interesting scenario for the Yankees, as Derek Jeter has struggled both offensively and defensively in the early going. It’s a lot to ask Jeter to be a regular shortstop at this stage of his career, so Ryan figures to play more than the average backup at the very least.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)