May 5, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Pitchers are players too, but nor for monthly awards. They get their own jam, and Sonny Gray of the Athletics and Jose Fernandez of the Marlins won this jam, being named Pitchers of the Month for April.
Fernandez led baseball with 55 strikeouts while posting a 4-1 record in six starts. Fernandez was tied for third among N.L. pitchers in wins while and was fourth in ERA with a 1.59 mark. He was also fourth among qualifying pitchers in opponents’ average, allowing 25 hits over his 39 and two-thirds innings of work. Yesterday’s start against the Dodgers doesn’t count for this, obviously, but he had ten strikeouts on a day he was described by many as having poor command. Which is quite a testament to how great his stuff is.
Gray went 4-1 record with a 1.76 ERA, one shutout and 37 strikeouts in 41.0 innings pitched over six appearances. Gray was tied for first in wins, was second in ERA, fifth in innings pitched and 12th in strikeouts. Opponents batted .220 off of him.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 10
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 37
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)