May 5, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Pitchers are players too, but nor for monthly awards. They get their own jam, and Sonny Gray of the Athletics and Jose Fernandez of the Marlins won this jam, being named Pitchers of the Month for April.
Fernandez led baseball with 55 strikeouts while posting a 4-1 record in six starts. Fernandez was tied for third among N.L. pitchers in wins while and was fourth in ERA with a 1.59 mark. He was also fourth among qualifying pitchers in opponents’ average, allowing 25 hits over his 39 and two-thirds innings of work. Yesterday’s start against the Dodgers doesn’t count for this, obviously, but he had ten strikeouts on a day he was described by many as having poor command. Which is quite a testament to how great his stuff is.
Gray went 4-1 record with a 1.76 ERA, one shutout and 37 strikeouts in 41.0 innings pitched over six appearances. Gray was tied for first in wins, was second in ERA, fifth in innings pitched and 12th in strikeouts. Opponents batted .220 off of him.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)