May 5, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
Fox’s Gabe Kapler visited the Florida prison which is home to Matt Bush, the one time number one overall pick in the MLB draft. And, maybe, the guy who did more to throw away a baseball career than anyone in living memory.
Bush, as you may recall, is in prison for running a man down while driving drunk. It was the last of a series of alcohol-related incidents which all but ended Bush’s baseball career before his final accident ultimately did.
Bush is not the biggest victim in this by any stretch of the imagination, but listening to him is still pretty emotionally affecting. You want to feel bad for him then you want to kill him then you want to pity him then you want to hate him and at some point you want to feel bad for him again. Such is the tragedy of addiction and bad choices and horrific outcomes.
Kudos to Kapler for going to see his former teammate and giving us an unvarnished look at him, the promise the threw away and many lives he ruined.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)