May 5, 2014, 11:03 AM EST
Fox’s Gabe Kapler visited the Florida prison which is home to Matt Bush, the one time number one overall pick in the MLB draft. And, maybe, the guy who did more to throw away a baseball career than anyone in living memory.
Bush, as you may recall, is in prison for running a man down while driving drunk. It was the last of a series of alcohol-related incidents which all but ended Bush’s baseball career before his final accident ultimately did.
Bush is not the biggest victim in this by any stretch of the imagination, but listening to him is still pretty emotionally affecting. You want to feel bad for him then you want to kill him then you want to pity him then you want to hate him and at some point you want to feel bad for him again. Such is the tragedy of addiction and bad choices and horrific outcomes.
Kudos to Kapler for going to see his former teammate and giving us an unvarnished look at him, the promise the threw away and many lives he ruined.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27