May 5, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
Fox’s Gabe Kapler visited the Florida prison which is home to Matt Bush, the one time number one overall pick in the MLB draft. And, maybe, the guy who did more to throw away a baseball career than anyone in living memory.
Bush, as you may recall, is in prison for running a man down while driving drunk. It was the last of a series of alcohol-related incidents which all but ended Bush’s baseball career before his final accident ultimately did.
Bush is not the biggest victim in this by any stretch of the imagination, but listening to him is still pretty emotionally affecting. You want to feel bad for him then you want to kill him then you want to pity him then you want to hate him and at some point you want to feel bad for him again. Such is the tragedy of addiction and bad choices and horrific outcomes.
Kudos to Kapler for going to see his former teammate and giving us an unvarnished look at him, the promise the threw away and many lives he ruined.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)