May 5, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
Fox’s Gabe Kapler visited the Florida prison which is home to Matt Bush, the one time number one overall pick in the MLB draft. And, maybe, the guy who did more to throw away a baseball career than anyone in living memory.
Bush, as you may recall, is in prison for running a man down while driving drunk. It was the last of a series of alcohol-related incidents which all but ended Bush’s baseball career before his final accident ultimately did.
Bush is not the biggest victim in this by any stretch of the imagination, but listening to him is still pretty emotionally affecting. You want to feel bad for him then you want to kill him then you want to pity him then you want to hate him and at some point you want to feel bad for him again. Such is the tragedy of addiction and bad choices and horrific outcomes.
Kudos to Kapler for going to see his former teammate and giving us an unvarnished look at him, the promise the threw away and many lives he ruined.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 14
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 12
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 29
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (94)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)