May 5, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
Giants right-hander Matt Cain was placed on the disabled list yesterday due to a cut on his right index finger, but he told Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle this afternoon that he fully expects to return to start Saturday against the Dodgers. His last start was on April 23, so that would be one day after he’s first eligible.
As Cain told Schulman, he injured his finger with a kitchen knife while trying to make “fancy” triangles in his sandwich last Tuesday. The initial hope was that he would be able to return tonight against the Pirates, but he felt that the wound was about to open up when he threw yesterday without a protective device on his finger, so the Giants decided to play things safe. Yusmiero Petit will start in his place tonight.
Cain owns a 4.35 ERA and 25/10 K/BB ratio in 31 innings through his first five starts this season.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)