May 5, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
Giants right-hander Matt Cain was placed on the disabled list yesterday due to a cut on his right index finger, but he told Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle this afternoon that he fully expects to return to start Saturday against the Dodgers. His last start was on April 23, so that would be one day after he’s first eligible.
As Cain told Schulman, he injured his finger with a kitchen knife while trying to make “fancy” triangles in his sandwich last Tuesday. The initial hope was that he would be able to return tonight against the Pirates, but he felt that the wound was about to open up when he threw yesterday without a protective device on his finger, so the Giants decided to play things safe. Yusmiero Petit will start in his place tonight.
Cain owns a 4.35 ERA and 25/10 K/BB ratio in 31 innings through his first five starts this season.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)