May 5, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
Giants right-hander Matt Cain was placed on the disabled list yesterday due to a cut on his right index finger, but he told Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle this afternoon that he fully expects to return to start Saturday against the Dodgers. His last start was on April 23, so that would be one day after he’s first eligible.
As Cain told Schulman, he injured his finger with a kitchen knife while trying to make “fancy” triangles in his sandwich last Tuesday. The initial hope was that he would be able to return tonight against the Pirates, but he felt that the wound was about to open up when he threw yesterday without a protective device on his finger, so the Giants decided to play things safe. Yusmiero Petit will start in his place tonight.
Cain owns a 4.35 ERA and 25/10 K/BB ratio in 31 innings through his first five starts this season.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 13
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 45
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 28
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 46
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)