May 5, 2014, 6:59 PM EST
Giants right-hander Matt Cain was placed on the disabled list yesterday due to a cut on his right index finger, but he told Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle this afternoon that he fully expects to return to start Saturday against the Dodgers. His last start was on April 23, so that would be one day after he’s first eligible.
As Cain told Schulman, he injured his finger with a kitchen knife while trying to make “fancy” triangles in his sandwich last Tuesday. The initial hope was that he would be able to return tonight against the Pirates, but he felt that the wound was about to open up when he threw yesterday without a protective device on his finger, so the Giants decided to play things safe. Yusmiero Petit will start in his place tonight.
Cain owns a 4.35 ERA and 25/10 K/BB ratio in 31 innings through his first five starts this season.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 19
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)