May 5, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
As if Cardinals left-hander Jaime Garcia‘s luck wasn’t bad enough with pitching injuries now he’s got a hitting injury.
While rehabbing his shoulder injury in the minors Garcia came to the plate because pitchers bat in the Double-A Texas League, so naturally he was plunked in the elbow by a pitch. Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that X-rays did not show a fracture, so he’s been diagnosed with a bruise for now.
As Garcia put it: “It’s really, really frustrating. I get out of one thing and something else happens.”
Before the hit by pitch Garcia had been slated to throw around 80 pitches, so if the elbow injury isn’t a major setback he could be relatively close to rejoining the Cardinals.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 23
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 41
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)