May 5, 2014, 2:25 PM EST
As if Cardinals left-hander Jaime Garcia‘s luck wasn’t bad enough with pitching injuries now he’s got a hitting injury.
While rehabbing his shoulder injury in the minors Garcia came to the plate because pitchers bat in the Double-A Texas League, so naturally he was plunked in the elbow by a pitch. Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that X-rays did not show a fracture, so he’s been diagnosed with a bruise for now.
As Garcia put it: “It’s really, really frustrating. I get out of one thing and something else happens.”
Before the hit by pitch Garcia had been slated to throw around 80 pitches, so if the elbow injury isn’t a major setback he could be relatively close to rejoining the Cardinals.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)