Rivera Avenue now runs outside Yankee Stadium

May 5, 2014, 1:56 PM EDT

I presume this will get “Avenue of the Americas” treatment (i.e. no one will ever use the name in actual conversation or navigation). Here in Columbus we have that going on with the “Jack Nicklaus Freeway,” which only really exists on maps. A lot of cities have that. But it’s nice all the same:

1. DJ MC - May 5, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Lee Street on the south side of Camden Yards is “Leon Day Way”, and 395 from Conway and Howard just east of the park out to 95 is “Cal Ripken Way”.

I always like to see streets like this, even if they aren’t officially renamed.

• mybrunoblog - May 5, 2014 at 7:08 PM

A little different here. It is the officials street name not ceremonial. The name is now Rivera Avenue no longer River Avenue. I love Mo as much as the next guy but this sems a bit extreme. Of course, he didn’t ask for this so let him enjoy it. I wouldn’t turn it down either.

• cohnjusack - May 5, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Meh, this is the least offensive renaming New York has done in a while.

They added an “a” to River Avenue. Compare that to:

Renaming the Triboro Bridge – now the Robert F Kennedy Bridge
        Renaming the Queensboro Bridge – Now the Ed Koch Bridge
        Renaming the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel – now the Hugh L Carey Tunnel

New York really seems to have developed a serious problem with descriptive names for East River crossings. I’m guessing the Queens-Midtown Tunnel is the next to go.

2. jkcalhoun - May 5, 2014 at 2:02 PM

I see from the map that from there you have to go northish one block to get to 162nd St., but which way is River Avenue B?

3. sdelmonte - May 5, 2014 at 2:14 PM

I wish we could get rid of “Avenue of the Americas” though. It’s Sixth Avenue, and no one calls it anything but.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 5, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Vespucci gets no respect.

• sdelmonte - May 5, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Not since they debunked the Vespucci Rules.

4. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 5, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Sorry Bruce Beck: they simply added an “a” to the existing name. They did not add an entire first name on top of that. All of the charm of this decision is in that subtle difference.

5. The Common Man - May 5, 2014 at 2:25 PM

“Still waiting on Carl Pavano Court.”

It’s currently under construction. And it always will be.

• cohnjusack - May 5, 2014 at 7:27 PM

I was going to follow this up with a Mel Hall joke, but thought better of it.

6. jwbiii - May 5, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Does this mean Mike Axisa will be changing the name of his blog?

7. proudlycanadian - May 5, 2014 at 2:44 PM

So a Rivera now runs through The Bronx.

8. shanabartels - May 5, 2014 at 3:45 PM

I thought the City of New York said last year that they would stick to their rule of only doing honorary street names for folks who have already died. They must have changed their minds about enforcing that rule.

9. danrizzle - May 5, 2014 at 4:02 PM

I love Rivera as much as anybody, but statue-building and street-naming should not be done until all the witnesses have died.

10. mattinglyschmidt - May 5, 2014 at 4:21 PM

They didn’t have to change anything except for spacing. It was always appropriate that Yankee Stadium was a RiverA venue.

11. deedee2die4 - May 5, 2014 at 4:21 PM

“Most Overrated Stat in Sports Avenue”

12. pacnwsailor - May 5, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Here in Seattle, you exit I-5 to Edgar Martinez Dr. Leads you right to the ballpark

• vanindeed - May 5, 2014 at 9:09 PM

well deserved

13. jerze2387 - May 5, 2014 at 5:40 PM

As long as it doesn’t “run” into the warning track in right field….

14. sawxalicious - May 6, 2014 at 1:35 AM

When I first saw this, for some reason I was thinking of Ruben Rivera….

15. anxovies - May 7, 2014 at 3:14 PM

I’m waiting for the Sir Benedict Cumberbatch Bridge across the Thames.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto