May 5, 2014, 2:27 PM EST
Tyler Kepner of the New York Times has a wonderful story today about one of the longest games in baseball history. The absolute longest if you by actual game time instead of mere innings. It occurred on May 8-9, 1984. Yes, both days, as the Brewers and White Sox started on the 8th, hit curfew on early on the 9th and resumed the game the following day after it was suspended. All-in-all it was 25 innings and lasted over eight hours. The White Sox won.
The winning pitcher? Tom Seaver, who came on in relief once the game resumed the next day. The winning pitcher for the next game, played the same day: Tom Seaver, who was the scheduled starter. He just used that 25-inning affair as warmup.
The story is great beyond those odd facts of a bygone era. Kepner talks to many of the principles and it all rolls out like a wonderful baseball yarn. This is the kind of baseball writing that is most enjoyable. And it’s a great read.
Now, if someone can tell my old butt how a game I remember being talked about at the time as current news can be 30-years-old, I’d greatly appreciate it.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)