May 6, 2014, 7:03 PM EST
Rays starter Alex Cobb is ahead of schedule in his recovery from a severely-strained left oblique.
The right-hander threw what Rays manager Joe Maddon described as an “electric” bullpen session on Tuesday afternoon and told reporters after the workout that he expects to be back in Tampa Bay’s rotation before the end of May. The initial recovery timetable had him in rehab mode until mid June.
Cobb registered a 1.89 ERA and 14 strikeouts in 19 innings before landing on the disabled list April 13.
The 26-year-old shut out the Reds for seven frames in his final start before the oblique strain diagnosis.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)