May 6, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Joe Smith took over for Ernesto Frieri as the Angels’ closer a couple weeks ago, but last night it was Frieri coming in to convert a save against the Yankees. So has manager Mike Scioscia changed his mind again on the closer role?
Nope, it turns out Smith was just puking in the bullpen at the time.
Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reports that Smith went to warm up for the ninth-inning save opportunity per usual, but then “started feeling sick” and “disgorged his lunch.” So the Angels scrambled and had Frieri warm up again after he’d already done so in the eighth inning without actually coming into the game for starter Jered Weaver.
Frieri pitched a 1-2-3 inning for the save, striking out Mark Teixeira and Jacoby Ellsbury in the process. Presumably, however, if Smith can keep his lunch down he’ll still get the next save chance that … well, comes up, for the Angels.
Professional athletes: They’re just like us! (If you throw up at your job, I guess.)
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $45,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Tuesday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 54
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 139
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (139)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)