May 6, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Joe Smith took over for Ernesto Frieri as the Angels’ closer a couple weeks ago, but last night it was Frieri coming in to convert a save against the Yankees. So has manager Mike Scioscia changed his mind again on the closer role?
Nope, it turns out Smith was just puking in the bullpen at the time.
Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reports that Smith went to warm up for the ninth-inning save opportunity per usual, but then “started feeling sick” and “disgorged his lunch.” So the Angels scrambled and had Frieri warm up again after he’d already done so in the eighth inning without actually coming into the game for starter Jered Weaver.
Frieri pitched a 1-2-3 inning for the save, striking out Mark Teixeira and Jacoby Ellsbury in the process. Presumably, however, if Smith can keep his lunch down he’ll still get the next save chance that … well, comes up, for the Angels.
Professional athletes: They’re just like us! (If you throw up at your job, I guess.)
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $45,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Tuesday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 0
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 10
- Who really owns a home run ball? 59
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)