May 6, 2014, 6:14 PM EDT
Cincinnati is about to get its fireballing closer back.
FOX Sports’ Jon Morosi was told Tuesday that left-hander Aroldis Chapman, who has been on the shelf since taking a comebacker off his face in a mid-March Cactus League game, could “return to the Reds’ active roster as early as this weekend.”
Chapman hit 101 mph with his fastball in his rehab debut last Thursday at Low-A Dayton and displayed no obvious shyness on the mound. His minor league rehab assignment is moving to Triple-A Louisville on Tuesday, where he’s slate for two or three outings.
Chapman, 26, owns a 2.40 ERA, 1.02 WHIP, and 324 strikeouts in his first 198 2/3 major league innings.
The Reds enter play Tuesday with a 15-16 record and six-game deficit in the NL Central standings.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)