May 6, 2014, 9:21 PM EDT
From MLB.com’s Brittany Ghiroli comes word that Orioles first baseman Chris Davis took 25 practice swings and made 30 throws on Tuesday afternoon at Tropicana Field — the first time he had done either activity since being placed on the 15-day disabled list at the end of April with a strained left oblique.
Davis is eligible to be activated Sunday (May 11).
He won’t be returning on that exact date because the Orioles want him to spend two or three days on a minor league rehab assignment, but the middle of next week seems like a pretty reasonable target.
Davis was off to a slow start this season, batting .250 with a .754 OPS, two home runs, and 13 RBI in 22 games.
The 28-year-old hit .286 with a 1.004 OPS, 53 homers, and 138 RBI in 160 games last season.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 114
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (114)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)