May 6, 2014, 9:21 PM EST
From MLB.com’s Brittany Ghiroli comes word that Orioles first baseman Chris Davis took 25 practice swings and made 30 throws on Tuesday afternoon at Tropicana Field — the first time he had done either activity since being placed on the 15-day disabled list at the end of April with a strained left oblique.
Davis is eligible to be activated Sunday (May 11).
He won’t be returning on that exact date because the Orioles want him to spend two or three days on a minor league rehab assignment, but the middle of next week seems like a pretty reasonable target.
Davis was off to a slow start this season, batting .250 with a .754 OPS, two home runs, and 13 RBI in 22 games.
The 28-year-old hit .286 with a 1.004 OPS, 53 homers, and 138 RBI in 160 games last season.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (112)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)