May 6, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT
Add another thing to the “stuff that’s gone wrong for the Diamondbacks this season” pile, as right-hander J.J. Putz is headed to the disabled list with a strained forearm.
Putz has a long history of arm problems and tried to pitch through this recent issue, but it predictably didn’t work well so Arizona shut him down.
Putz posted a sub-3.00 ERA with big strikeout rates in each season from 2010-2013 and as a 37-year-old reliever in the final season of his contract he’d be a prime trade candidate if/when the Diamondbacks decide to start selling, but lingering forearm problems could scare contenders off.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 14
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)