May 6, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT
Add another thing to the “stuff that’s gone wrong for the Diamondbacks this season” pile, as right-hander J.J. Putz is headed to the disabled list with a strained forearm.
Putz has a long history of arm problems and tried to pitch through this recent issue, but it predictably didn’t work well so Arizona shut him down.
Putz posted a sub-3.00 ERA with big strikeout rates in each season from 2010-2013 and as a 37-year-old reliever in the final season of his contract he’d be a prime trade candidate if/when the Diamondbacks decide to start selling, but lingering forearm problems could scare contenders off.
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 8
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 15
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 12
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)