May 6, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
Ominous news here for the first-place Orioles.
Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports reports that catcher Matt Wieters is scheduled to visit Dr. James Andrews on Wednesday for an examination of his right elbow, which has been giving him problems since last week. The worst-case scenario, as Passan notes, would be a torn UCL and season-ending Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery.
The best-case scenario would be that it’s merely elbow inflammation and able to heal over time.
Wieters is in the Orioles’ starting lineup on Tuesday night against the Rays, but as the designated hitter.
The two-time Gold Glove Award winner is batting .337 with a .942 OPS in 22 games this season.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 32
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 20
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 47
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)