May 6, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
Ominous news here for the first-place Orioles.
Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports reports that catcher Matt Wieters is scheduled to visit Dr. James Andrews on Wednesday for an examination of his right elbow, which has been giving him problems since last week. The worst-case scenario, as Passan notes, would be a torn UCL and season-ending Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery.
The best-case scenario would be that it’s merely elbow inflammation and able to heal over time.
Wieters is in the Orioles’ starting lineup on Tuesday night against the Rays, but as the designated hitter.
The two-time Gold Glove Award winner is batting .337 with a .942 OPS in 22 games this season.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 28
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 30
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 33
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)