May 6, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
Ominous news here for the first-place Orioles.
Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports reports that catcher Matt Wieters is scheduled to visit Dr. James Andrews on Wednesday for an examination of his right elbow, which has been giving him problems since last week. The worst-case scenario, as Passan notes, would be a torn UCL and season-ending Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery.
The best-case scenario would be that it’s merely elbow inflammation and able to heal over time.
Wieters is in the Orioles’ starting lineup on Tuesday night against the Rays, but as the designated hitter.
The two-time Gold Glove Award winner is batting .337 with a .942 OPS in 22 games this season.
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 21
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 17
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 26
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 23
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (100)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)