May 6, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
Ominous news here for the first-place Orioles.
Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports reports that catcher Matt Wieters is scheduled to visit Dr. James Andrews on Wednesday for an examination of his right elbow, which has been giving him problems since last week. The worst-case scenario, as Passan notes, would be a torn UCL and season-ending Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery.
The best-case scenario would be that it’s merely elbow inflammation and able to heal over time.
Wieters is in the Orioles’ starting lineup on Tuesday night against the Rays, but as the designated hitter.
The two-time Gold Glove Award winner is batting .337 with a .942 OPS in 22 games this season.
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 0
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 43
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)