May 6, 2014, 7:29 PM EST
Ominous news here for the first-place Orioles.
Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports reports that catcher Matt Wieters is scheduled to visit Dr. James Andrews on Wednesday for an examination of his right elbow, which has been giving him problems since last week. The worst-case scenario, as Passan notes, would be a torn UCL and season-ending Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery.
The best-case scenario would be that it’s merely elbow inflammation and able to heal over time.
Wieters is in the Orioles’ starting lineup on Tuesday night against the Rays, but as the designated hitter.
The two-time Gold Glove Award winner is batting .337 with a .942 OPS in 22 games this season.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 6
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)