May 6, 2014, 8:21 AM EST
Laz Diaz has a long history of making the game all about him, instigating arguments and making a big show of his authority on the field. Last night in the Yankees-Angels game it was no different.
When Yankees pitcher Shawn Kelley left the game he had some words for Diaz about the strike zone as he was leaving the field. A lot of players do that. They shouldn’t, but they do. It’s incumbent upon the umpire — or any authority figure dealing with a temper tantrum — to take the high road rather than exacerbate the situation. Show your authority by paying no mind to those who would fecklessly challenge it. Diaz, apparently, never learned this. Watch as he “shoos” Kelley off the field:
There’s no place for that. If Diaz ignores Kelley he walks off the field knowing that his protestations fell on deaf ears, as they should. Instead Diaz made it personal and all about him and ended up running Kelley and manager Joe Girardi from the game.
Major League Baseball shouldn’t tolerate this kind of nonsense. There is no room in the game for umpire ego or showmanship. It’s a disgrace and Diaz should be punished for it.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)