May 7, 2014, 7:18 PM EDT
Cubs reliever Pedro Strop was removed from an appearance Tuesday night against the White Sox with discomfort in his groin and an MRI taken on Wednesday revealed a moderate left groin strain.
Strop has been placed on the 15-day disabled list and could miss as much as four weeks. The Cubs recalled left-hander Zac Rosscup in a corresponding move Wednesday to provide needed bullpen depth.
Strop seemed poised to work his way into the Cubs’ closer mix this season, but he has registered an ugly 4.97 ERA, 1.50 WHIP, and 15/8 K/BB ratio through 15 appearances.
The 28-year-old had a 2.83 ERA, 0.94 WHIP, and 42/11 K/BB ratio in 35 innings for Chicago last season.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)