May 7, 2014, 7:18 PM EDT
Cubs reliever Pedro Strop was removed from an appearance Tuesday night against the White Sox with discomfort in his groin and an MRI taken on Wednesday revealed a moderate left groin strain.
Strop has been placed on the 15-day disabled list and could miss as much as four weeks. The Cubs recalled left-hander Zac Rosscup in a corresponding move Wednesday to provide needed bullpen depth.
Strop seemed poised to work his way into the Cubs’ closer mix this season, but he has registered an ugly 4.97 ERA, 1.50 WHIP, and 15/8 K/BB ratio through 15 appearances.
The 28-year-old had a 2.83 ERA, 0.94 WHIP, and 42/11 K/BB ratio in 35 innings for Chicago last season.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)