May 7, 2014, 7:18 PM EDT
Cubs reliever Pedro Strop was removed from an appearance Tuesday night against the White Sox with discomfort in his groin and an MRI taken on Wednesday revealed a moderate left groin strain.
Strop has been placed on the 15-day disabled list and could miss as much as four weeks. The Cubs recalled left-hander Zac Rosscup in a corresponding move Wednesday to provide needed bullpen depth.
Strop seemed poised to work his way into the Cubs’ closer mix this season, but he has registered an ugly 4.97 ERA, 1.50 WHIP, and 15/8 K/BB ratio through 15 appearances.
The 28-year-old had a 2.83 ERA, 0.94 WHIP, and 42/11 K/BB ratio in 35 innings for Chicago last season.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)