Derek Jeter’s farewell gift from the Angels: a personalized stand up paddle board

May 7, 2014, 11:20 PM EST

Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter received a festive retirement gift from the Angels on Wednesday night before (what will likely be) his final game in Anaheim …

That’s a pinstriped stand up paddle board. Which pairs perfectly with a beachfront mansion.

Jeter hit a solo home run in his second at-bat of the night — his first home run of the year.

1. renaado - May 7, 2014 at 11:34 PM

I doubt Jeter would be usin that.

• infieldhit - May 8, 2014 at 12:24 AM

Yeah, it’d be like a player walking around town in his own actual jersey.

Have any teams been snarky enough to give a farewell gift with their own logo on it?

• Old Gator - May 8, 2014 at 2:36 AM

I wonder if he can still paddle hard enough to catch up with a fastball.

• aresachaela - May 8, 2014 at 5:38 AM

Just keep paddling, just keep paddling, just paddling paddling XD.

• rpb1234 - May 8, 2014 at 9:48 AM

lol

• aresachaela - May 8, 2014 at 5:40 AM

He’ll SURF Ren, Why else would he have a BEACHFRONT mansion LOL XD.

2. melidoperez - May 7, 2014 at 11:55 PM

If you ever date a girl who has a pinstripe paddle board and a Derek Jeter autographed baseball you know what’s up.

3. alexo0 - May 8, 2014 at 12:30 AM

Any truth to the rumor that the Yankees gift to Jeter will be a bench?

• proudlycanadian - May 8, 2014 at 6:05 AM

Nah! He will receive his own special rocking chair for the dugout.

4. ltpm3 - May 8, 2014 at 1:22 AM

How many teams have a farewell tour for their retiring players? I have never heard of any other team doing it except for the Yankees …… whats up with that?

• imthewiz77 - May 8, 2014 at 1:54 AM

Chipper Jones more or less had one.

• Kevin S. - May 8, 2014 at 7:20 AM

So did Bobby Cox.

• [citation needed] fka COPO - May 8, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Paul Konerko is getting gifts too. And this is other teams doing it for the Yankees, so blame them.

• beachnbaseball - May 8, 2014 at 6:55 AM

He announced he was retiring at the end of the year. The teams the Yankees are visiting have decided to “honor” him. The Yankees certainly didn’t organize it.

• lukedunphysscienceproject - May 8, 2014 at 10:23 AM

LOL. People will literarily go after the Yankees for anything. What, do you think the Yankees are calling these teams and requiring opposing teams to have retirement ceremonies for them?

Tony Gwynn, Cal Ripken, Ozzie Smith, Chipper Jones, all had them to some extent. If teams are making a bigger deal for Jeter and Rivera, that’s on them.

5. mikhelb - May 8, 2014 at 2:28 AM

The Astros had a similar “farewell tour” for Craig Biggio, I attended his last games against the Padres in San Diego.

6. Caught Looking - May 8, 2014 at 2:29 AM

The NYY logo looks counterfeited.

7. mikhelb - May 8, 2014 at 2:30 AM

Derek Jeter retires with the highest batting average as a visitor (300 at bats or more) at Anaheim, 0.339 AVG, second highest AVG seems to belong to Alex Rodríguez.

8. proudlycanadian - May 8, 2014 at 6:07 AM

I think that if a team is going to give Jeter a meaningful present, it should be a gift basket full of signed baseballs.

9. nbjays - May 8, 2014 at 8:00 AM

I think the better gift was the crowd reception he got for the first game of the series on Monday.

10. genericcommenter - May 8, 2014 at 8:56 AM

The HR was the real gift.

11. daddeeo - May 8, 2014 at 9:48 AM

A Class jester. I enjoy seeing this. As a life long Bosox fan I can still give Jeter the respect which he deserves. I wonder do all teams do this for retiring “stars” at least? Of course some commenters are right, I doubt he’ll be walking around with a billboard saying “I’m Derek Jeter” like this but it will look cool hanging in his boat house!

12. nobody78 - May 8, 2014 at 11:32 AM

The Yankees are my life’s first true love and I’ve been a fan of Jeter since Day 1.

I can’t stand this retirement tour nonsense. I want Jeter to put together a decent season and I want everyone else in the league to hate him because he beats them. I want to read 1,000 posts on HBT about how people overrate his defense. This Yankee team isn’t supposed to be a nostalgia act; it’s supposed to be a baseball team competing for a championship.

And for goodness sake, Jeter doesn’t need a bunch of fancy expensive presents. If it’s clever then fine. I was tickled Mo’s rocking chair made out of broken bats, whoever did that. But these vanity items are just a total waste. Let Jeter by his own damned paddleboard.

13. chiadam - May 8, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Is it supposed to be as tall as a building?

14. gymtruthteller - May 8, 2014 at 1:03 PM

All this crap people keep giving him is going to end up in storage when he finally does retire.

This farewell tour so Jeter can get attention is pathetic. So much for having class Jeter. Ego maniac.

15. 1998yanks - May 8, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Nbjays, you are absolutely right. I just got back from vacation in Cali and was at Mondays game. The entire stadium was standing up every time he came up to bat. It was awesome. The only bad thing for me was the one game in the series that I got to see they lost….. Oh well.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5240)
  2. M. Kemp (3599)
  3. J. Upton (2911)
  4. J. Kang (2908)
  5. C. McGehee (2796)
  1. W. Middlebrooks (2791)
  2. A. Rios (2449)