May 7, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Joe Mauer has so far avoided the disabled list, but the Twins first baseman sat out his second straight game Tuesday with back spasms and LaVelle E. Neal of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that he’ll likely miss at least a few more games.
Mauer described his back pain as “pretty brutal” and noted that this is the first time he’s dealt with back problems like this.
It’s a shame, too, because after starting the season hitless in his first 10 at-bats Mauer hit .324 with 21 runs scored in his next 26 games. In other words, he was hitting like his usual batting title-winning self.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Wednesday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 329
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 66
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 43
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (329)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (159)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)