May 7, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Joe Mauer has so far avoided the disabled list, but the Twins first baseman sat out his second straight game Tuesday with back spasms and LaVelle E. Neal of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that he’ll likely miss at least a few more games.
Mauer described his back pain as “pretty brutal” and noted that this is the first time he’s dealt with back problems like this.
It’s a shame, too, because after starting the season hitless in his first 10 at-bats Mauer hit .324 with 21 runs scored in his next 26 games. In other words, he was hitting like his usual batting title-winning self.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Wednesday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)