May 7, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Joe Mauer has so far avoided the disabled list, but the Twins first baseman sat out his second straight game Tuesday with back spasms and LaVelle E. Neal of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that he’ll likely miss at least a few more games.
Mauer described his back pain as “pretty brutal” and noted that this is the first time he’s dealt with back problems like this.
It’s a shame, too, because after starting the season hitless in his first 10 at-bats Mauer hit .324 with 21 runs scored in his next 26 games. In other words, he was hitting like his usual batting title-winning self.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Wednesday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8