May 7, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Joe Mauer has so far avoided the disabled list, but the Twins first baseman sat out his second straight game Tuesday with back spasms and LaVelle E. Neal of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that he’ll likely miss at least a few more games.
Mauer described his back pain as “pretty brutal” and noted that this is the first time he’s dealt with back problems like this.
It’s a shame, too, because after starting the season hitless in his first 10 at-bats Mauer hit .324 with 21 runs scored in his next 26 games. In other words, he was hitting like his usual batting title-winning self.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Wednesday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 7
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 3
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 23
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 33
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 87
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)