May 7, 2014, 8:21 PM EDT
Pedro Moura of the Orange County Register reports that Angels outfielder Josh Hamilton took one-handed swings Wednesday in Anaheim for the first time since undergoing surgery April 11 to repair a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his left thumb.
Hamilton will move his rehab to the Angels’ spring training complex in Arizona on Friday — where he will begin easing back into other baseball-related activities. The 32-year-old slugger hopes to return to Anaheim’s active roster the weekend of May 23-25.
Hamilton was off to a hot start this season, batting .444/.545/.741 with two home runs and six RBI through eight game. He posted a disappointing .250/.307/.432 slash line with 21 homers and 79 RBI in 2013.
Raul Ibanez is currently serving as the Angels’ regular left fielder at age 41.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)