May 7, 2014, 8:21 PM EST
Pedro Moura of the Orange County Register reports that Angels outfielder Josh Hamilton took one-handed swings Wednesday in Anaheim for the first time since undergoing surgery April 11 to repair a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his left thumb.
Hamilton will move his rehab to the Angels’ spring training complex in Arizona on Friday — where he will begin easing back into other baseball-related activities. The 32-year-old slugger hopes to return to Anaheim’s active roster the weekend of May 23-25.
Hamilton was off to a hot start this season, batting .444/.545/.741 with two home runs and six RBI through eight game. He posted a disappointing .250/.307/.432 slash line with 21 homers and 79 RBI in 2013.
Raul Ibanez is currently serving as the Angels’ regular left fielder at age 41.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (363)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (77)