Mets pitchers still don’t have a hit this season

May 7, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT

Bartolo Colon Bartolo Colon

They’ve already set a new modern record for the most hitless at-bats to begin a season, but the Mets’ pitchers aren’t done yet. After another 0-for yesterday the pitching staff is a collective 0-for-55 at the plate this year.

Manager Terry Collins told Adam Rubin that the Mets want pitchers to take more live batting practice outdoors in an effort to make them somewhat less horrendous hitters.

I also loved this quote from poor Bartolo Colon, who’s 0-for-10 this season and hasn’t had a hit since 2005 in part because he’s been in the AL that whole time:

I’m not a good hitter. This is new for me. I’m trying to get used to the fact that I’m now going to have to hit. This is all new for me. Every pitcher that I now face is new for me.

But once Colon gets comfortable with facing the NL pitchers, look out.

My prediction: Jon Niese will end the hitless streak before it gets to 100 at-bats.

1. joerevs300 - May 7, 2014 at 12:39 PM

At a 4.01 ERA, good for 12th in the NL, it’s apparent they can’t pitch either!

• cohnjusack - May 7, 2014 at 4:29 PM

How much has the game changed since the height of the steroid era?

In 2000, a 4.01 ERA would have lead the majors.

2. DelawarePhilliesFan - May 7, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Niese will end it, with a liner down the line that is fair….but will be called foul

3. bolweevils2 - May 7, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Well, you aren’t going out on limb too far predicting Niese, since he has a clue with the bat. The other reasonably candidate is Dillon Gee. Wheeler isn’t good, but he doesn’t look totally lost with a bat in his hand. But Colon and Mejia are hopeless.

Actually, for the sake of irony it probably will be Colon or Mejia that gets a hit.

4. nbjays - May 7, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Meanwhile, the Jays’ Drew Hutchison, with all of two major league at-bats before last night, went 2-for-3 and now sports a .400 career BA.

• proudlycanadian - May 7, 2014 at 3:07 PM

The Jays will have to use him as a pinch hitter in NL parks.

5. American of African Descent - May 7, 2014 at 1:40 PM

This is why the DH makes sense for both leagues. Who wants to watch the functional equivalent of a AA hitter against major league pitching when you can have a professional hitter up there?

• nbjays - May 7, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Like Dan Uggla and BJ Upton?

6. rcali - May 7, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Watching pitchers hit in modern times is hard to digest. They look like my mom when she decides to take a whiffle ball at bat during family cook outs. Baseball is a better game with a professional hitter in the batting order over a pitcher who is just told to “not get hurt” when he takes his at a bats. I know, I know old folks, “The DH is bad for baseball and Get off my lawn!”

• Old Gator - May 7, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Watching the designated hitter is older. It reminds me of when the tribal elders would take up their clubs and go out hoping to drive a mammoth off a cliff and beat his brains in.

• Old Gator - May 7, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Pardon me – except that the designated hitter doesn’t require nearly as much planning or intelligence as a mammoth hunt.

7. mikhelb - May 7, 2014 at 5:47 PM

My prediction: they’ll rack up hits against the Yankees, maybe even beating Tanaka (whom I think will lose in his next start when he pitches vs the brew crew).

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3230)