May 7, 2014, 4:50 PM EST
While rehabbing an ankle injury left-hander Joe Saunders made it clear that he only wants to rejoin the Rangers as a starter, so in the meantime Texas has called up a different veteran starter to work out of the bullpen.
T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com reports that right-hander Scott Baker will work a long relief role for the Rangers after making six starts with a 3.32 ERA and 30/11 K/BB ratio in 38 innings at Triple-A.
Baker was once a solid mid-rotation starter for the Twins, but he’s struggled to come back from Tommy John elbow surgery that cost him all of 2012 and most of 2013. Baker has made just four career relief appearances.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)