May 7, 2014, 4:50 PM EST
While rehabbing an ankle injury left-hander Joe Saunders made it clear that he only wants to rejoin the Rangers as a starter, so in the meantime Texas has called up a different veteran starter to work out of the bullpen.
T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com reports that right-hander Scott Baker will work a long relief role for the Rangers after making six starts with a 3.32 ERA and 30/11 K/BB ratio in 38 innings at Triple-A.
Baker was once a solid mid-rotation starter for the Twins, but he’s struggled to come back from Tommy John elbow surgery that cost him all of 2012 and most of 2013. Baker has made just four career relief appearances.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)