May 7, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
While rehabbing an ankle injury left-hander Joe Saunders made it clear that he only wants to rejoin the Rangers as a starter, so in the meantime Texas has called up a different veteran starter to work out of the bullpen.
T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com reports that right-hander Scott Baker will work a long relief role for the Rangers after making six starts with a 3.32 ERA and 30/11 K/BB ratio in 38 innings at Triple-A.
Baker was once a solid mid-rotation starter for the Twins, but he’s struggled to come back from Tommy John elbow surgery that cost him all of 2012 and most of 2013. Baker has made just four career relief appearances.
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 77
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 26
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 24
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 76
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (198)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)