May 7, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
While rehabbing an ankle injury left-hander Joe Saunders made it clear that he only wants to rejoin the Rangers as a starter, so in the meantime Texas has called up a different veteran starter to work out of the bullpen.
T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com reports that right-hander Scott Baker will work a long relief role for the Rangers after making six starts with a 3.32 ERA and 30/11 K/BB ratio in 38 innings at Triple-A.
Baker was once a solid mid-rotation starter for the Twins, but he’s struggled to come back from Tommy John elbow surgery that cost him all of 2012 and most of 2013. Baker has made just four career relief appearances.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)