May 7, 2014, 8:35 AM EST
I know the bulk of you who read these morning posts don’t watch many Mariners games because of the tyranny of time zones, but I feel like it’s worth pointing out that the M’s are now 16-15 and sit in second place in the AL West.
They’ve done this by winning four straight games and nine of 11 overall. The freakiest part of that nine of 11 thing? Both of the losses in that stretch came during Felix Hernandez starts.
Three of those nine wins came against Houston and, no, beating Houston is not exactly a big resume piece. But the others have come against Texas (two wins) New York (two wins) and Oakland (two wins). They’ve averaged 5.72 runs a game in that span. Overall the M’s offense has not been insanely good, but it has been good by their own recent standards.
And, for the entire season they’re averaging more runs per game than the Yankees and Red Sox. Which, however flukey and early it is, is kind of fun.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)