May 7, 2014, 8:35 AM EDT
I know the bulk of you who read these morning posts don’t watch many Mariners games because of the tyranny of time zones, but I feel like it’s worth pointing out that the M’s are now 16-15 and sit in second place in the AL West.
They’ve done this by winning four straight games and nine of 11 overall. The freakiest part of that nine of 11 thing? Both of the losses in that stretch came during Felix Hernandez starts.
Three of those nine wins came against Houston and, no, beating Houston is not exactly a big resume piece. But the others have come against Texas (two wins) New York (two wins) and Oakland (two wins). They’ve averaged 5.72 runs a game in that span. Overall the M’s offense has not been insanely good, but it has been good by their own recent standards.
And, for the entire season they’re averaging more runs per game than the Yankees and Red Sox. Which, however flukey and early it is, is kind of fun.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 0
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 31
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 55
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 23
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 140
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 135
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (140)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (136)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)