May 7, 2014, 8:35 AM EDT
I know the bulk of you who read these morning posts don’t watch many Mariners games because of the tyranny of time zones, but I feel like it’s worth pointing out that the M’s are now 16-15 and sit in second place in the AL West.
They’ve done this by winning four straight games and nine of 11 overall. The freakiest part of that nine of 11 thing? Both of the losses in that stretch came during Felix Hernandez starts.
Three of those nine wins came against Houston and, no, beating Houston is not exactly a big resume piece. But the others have come against Texas (two wins) New York (two wins) and Oakland (two wins). They’ve averaged 5.72 runs a game in that span. Overall the M’s offense has not been insanely good, but it has been good by their own recent standards.
And, for the entire season they’re averaging more runs per game than the Yankees and Red Sox. Which, however flukey and early it is, is kind of fun.
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game, as they’re announced… 1
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 101
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (102)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)