May 7, 2014, 9:49 AM EDT
Tommy Lasorda is long time friends with Clippers’ owner Donald Sterling. He’s very clear that Sterling shouldn’t have said what he said and doesn’t condone any of it, so that much is good. But it’s not like he doesn’t have some strong feelings about the matter all the same. Particularly with respect to the woman whose recordings outed those Sterling comments in the first place:
“I’ve been a friend of that guy’s for 30 years,” he said. “It doesn’t surprise me that he said those things. And he shouldn’t have said it. He just hurt himself by talking too much and doing things he shouldn’t be doing.”
Lasorda also shared an unsolicited opinion on Sterling’s silly rabbit, V. Stiviano.
“And I don’t wish that girl any bad luck but I hope she gets hit with a car,” he said.
You can see video of those comments here from WBPF-TV in West Palm Beach. Based on his tone and demeanor, it seems like he’s pretty serious about that too.
Lasorda has spent a lot of his post-managerial life as an ambassador of the game and is often portrayed as some big, cuddly, lovable grandfather figure. But read anything about the guy that more than scratches the surface — and hear him say stuff like this, or other things he says when he’s not “on,” as it were — and you learn pretty quickly that he’s not at all cuddly. Not in the least.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 48
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 25
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 45
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)