May 7, 2014, 9:49 AM EDT
Tommy Lasorda is long time friends with Clippers’ owner Donald Sterling. He’s very clear that Sterling shouldn’t have said what he said and doesn’t condone any of it, so that much is good. But it’s not like he doesn’t have some strong feelings about the matter all the same. Particularly with respect to the woman whose recordings outed those Sterling comments in the first place:
“I’ve been a friend of that guy’s for 30 years,” he said. “It doesn’t surprise me that he said those things. And he shouldn’t have said it. He just hurt himself by talking too much and doing things he shouldn’t be doing.”
Lasorda also shared an unsolicited opinion on Sterling’s silly rabbit, V. Stiviano.
“And I don’t wish that girl any bad luck but I hope she gets hit with a car,” he said.
You can see video of those comments here from WBPF-TV in West Palm Beach. Based on his tone and demeanor, it seems like he’s pretty serious about that too.
Lasorda has spent a lot of his post-managerial life as an ambassador of the game and is often portrayed as some big, cuddly, lovable grandfather figure. But read anything about the guy that more than scratches the surface — and hear him say stuff like this, or other things he says when he’s not “on,” as it were — and you learn pretty quickly that he’s not at all cuddly. Not in the least.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 19
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 25
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 136
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)