May 7, 2014, 9:49 AM EST
Tommy Lasorda is long time friends with Clippers’ owner Donald Sterling. He’s very clear that Sterling shouldn’t have said what he said and doesn’t condone any of it, so that much is good. But it’s not like he doesn’t have some strong feelings about the matter all the same. Particularly with respect to the woman whose recordings outed those Sterling comments in the first place:
“I’ve been a friend of that guy’s for 30 years,” he said. “It doesn’t surprise me that he said those things. And he shouldn’t have said it. He just hurt himself by talking too much and doing things he shouldn’t be doing.”
Lasorda also shared an unsolicited opinion on Sterling’s silly rabbit, V. Stiviano.
“And I don’t wish that girl any bad luck but I hope she gets hit with a car,” he said.
You can see video of those comments here from WBPF-TV in West Palm Beach. Based on his tone and demeanor, it seems like he’s pretty serious about that too.
Lasorda has spent a lot of his post-managerial life as an ambassador of the game and is often portrayed as some big, cuddly, lovable grandfather figure. But read anything about the guy that more than scratches the surface — and hear him say stuff like this, or other things he says when he’s not “on,” as it were — and you learn pretty quickly that he’s not at all cuddly. Not in the least.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 148
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 83
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (151)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)