May 7, 2014, 9:49 AM EDT
Tommy Lasorda is long time friends with Clippers’ owner Donald Sterling. He’s very clear that Sterling shouldn’t have said what he said and doesn’t condone any of it, so that much is good. But it’s not like he doesn’t have some strong feelings about the matter all the same. Particularly with respect to the woman whose recordings outed those Sterling comments in the first place:
“I’ve been a friend of that guy’s for 30 years,” he said. “It doesn’t surprise me that he said those things. And he shouldn’t have said it. He just hurt himself by talking too much and doing things he shouldn’t be doing.”
Lasorda also shared an unsolicited opinion on Sterling’s silly rabbit, V. Stiviano.
“And I don’t wish that girl any bad luck but I hope she gets hit with a car,” he said.
You can see video of those comments here from WBPF-TV in West Palm Beach. Based on his tone and demeanor, it seems like he’s pretty serious about that too.
Lasorda has spent a lot of his post-managerial life as an ambassador of the game and is often portrayed as some big, cuddly, lovable grandfather figure. But read anything about the guy that more than scratches the surface — and hear him say stuff like this, or other things he says when he’s not “on,” as it were — and you learn pretty quickly that he’s not at all cuddly. Not in the least.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)