May 8, 2014, 12:16 PM EST
Chris Rusin made 13 starts for the Cubs last season, but the 27-year-old left-hander has spent most of this season at Triple-A and yesterday he threw a no-hitter against the Marlins’ affiliate.
And not only did Rusin allow zero hits and just two walks for Iowa’s first no-hitter since 1984, he collected two hits at the plate and drove in two runs.
Rusin has spent parts of four seasons at Triple-A for the Cubs, logging a combined 362 innings with a 3.96 ERA. He’s too old to be a prospect and struggles to get strikeouts, but he should get another opportunity in the big leagues at some point this season after holding his own in the Cubs’ rotation for a while last year.
And this has been a rough stretch for the Marlins’ Triple-A team. In addition to being no-hit by Rusin they also get into bar fights in which they break each other’s jaws.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 27
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 29
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)