May 8, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT
Matt Guerrier had the ability to opt-out of his minor-league contract tomorrow, so the Twins decided to call up the veteran reliever for a reunion.
Guerrier spent 2004-2010 in Minnesota as one of the better setup men in the league and then left for the Dodgers as a free agent. He’s struggled with injuries in recent years, but when healthy enough to pitch has remained a relatively decent middle reliever.
He didn’t pitch particularly well at Triple-A and at age 35 it’s possible Guerrier is just about finished, but the Twins have reunited with several just-about-finished players this season and he’ll probably get an extended opportunity.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 12
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)